Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats been your worst injury in the bush?

Ah that reminds me why I have a small scar right between my eyes. As kids all the lads had glass fiber bows. It was the latest rage, and they came with steel tipped glass fiber arrows. And we were 8-10 years old :-)

So naturally we used them...on every living thing we came across. Luckilly we where terrible shots, and seldom hit anything. As sometimes we loosed an arrow or two directly at each other...thats what my mate did, and he hit me from 10 ten meters, square between the eyes. Luckilly it did not glance off and continue into the eye...there was a lot of blood but a tiny wound, so we managed to pass it off as something else, or our bows would have been confiscated forever I guess...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Ah that reminds me why I have a small scar right between my eyes. As kids all the lads had glass fiber bows. It was the latest rage, and they came with steel tipped glass fiber arrows. And we were 8-10 years old :-)

So naturally we used them...on every living thing we came across. Luckilly we where terrible shots, and seldom hit anything. As sometimes we loosed an arrow or two directly at each other...thats what my mate did, and he hit me from 10 ten meters, square between the eyes. Luckilly it did not glance off and continue into the eye...there was a lot of blood but a tiny wound, so we managed to pass it off as something else, or our bows would have been confiscated forever I guess...
    We had those too when i was a kid, we liked nothing better than to shoot at full draw straight up into the sky and bet on where the arrow would land. I did it once against an overcast sky, no sooner had i loosed my arrow and the sun came out and i lost sight of it, you would normally see it turn and head back down anyhow stupidly i moved to try and catch sight of it when it hit me right on the back of my neck.
    It felt like someone had hit me with a bat and knocked me to the ground thankfully it had a very old blunt field tip on so it didn't stick in me but if i had been looking up at that moment, well i might not be writing this now. That as you would expect put an end to that little pastime. Incidentally i still have that bow in the garage somewhere...............Happy dayz

my worst injury are a few slips with the knife and a few ghetto tattoos... though my dog stepped on glass and cut 2 deep gashes into her paw which bled profusely...

after 10 mins all the bandages in my med kit were used... in the end i ripped my spare tshirt material into strips and wrapped her paw up then i disassembled my slingshot and used the bands to slow blood flow...

kept everything clean and safe until i had it looked at...

always been one to improvise in times of need with good success

Nothing really, just a flesh wound...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HolyGrail018.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	13314

Quote Originally Posted by garethw View Post

ROFL
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Not exactly bushy, but relevent to a post further up regards landscape gardener/ tree surgeon...

Got called to a private residence to a landscape gardener who had cut his arm with a chainsaw...

He was working up a tree, when the brach he was felling slipped back, caught the chainsaw, and knocked it onto his arm, causing a very serious 8" wound which would no doubt require plastic surgery...... He had earlier been looking at packets of celox in the shop he buys his stuff from, but couldn't justify the £15 price tag.... I suggested an isreali bandage instead for future emergencies... Needless to say, if you are going to carry sharps, even if it is a pen knife, CARRY A GOOD FIRST AID KIT !!!!
    Utringue Paratus

Northern Soul Bushcraft.......

Does a couple of sprained ankles count? other than that I have a scar on my left thumb from not paying attention when closing a SAK one handed and pushing on the business side of the blade rather than the flat side. That's why I always have a decent FAK in my bag. A few quick curse words, a couple of steristrips and my weekend was back on track.
    Sent via wood pigeon from the Devon woods.

Quote Originally Posted by garethw View Post

If this had happened to your lower limbs.......
    You would not have a leg to stand on.......
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    If this had happened to your lower limbs.......
    You would not have a leg to stand on.......

Ouch, would someone get this man's coat
    Sent via wood pigeon from the Devon woods.

not been injured... Luckily! But have had a stomach upset, very unpleasant when you havent got any facilities...