Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brushed up my first aid skills

Brushed up my first aid skills

Just completed the 6 hour basic first aid course with a local SAR group I have become a rookie member of.
    It was quite an eye opener. I have not done any first aid training since I worked in Sri Lanka in 2006/2007. And I was very rusty.
    That is the important stuff like heart and lung rescue (what do you call that?), free airways, how to dress a wound, stabilize broken bones etc was still there.
    But the little tricks, like how to turn people over into a stable lay, was gone. + there was a few things I had learned that is now out-dated, or just done differently.

All in all I can really reccomend taking a refresher course in these things, and do it regurarily. And we have members on the forum who is qualified train you....for a pound or two...well, a little more than that I guess...lol

Anyway, next is a training excercise with the Red Cross Rescue services, nad then I hope for more advanced training as I progress trough the system. Will also get a few relevant classes at University like the one named "Humans in Extreme environments" that will start next semester :-)

Right now I am writing my exam paper in "Excercise planning and management" or whatever it translates to, so I should get back to that :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    That is the important stuff like heart and lung rescue (what do you call that?),
    Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) I could remember CPR and what the C and R stood for but had to check the P to be sure
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    It's part of my job to arrange CPR training for NHS staff and my office is often a dumping ground for spare resus anne dolls, masks, defibrillators and other simulation stuff. I only know the basics though i.e. panic & call 999!
    On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson

Samuel Hearne
    I used to train team medics prior to deploying, I also had to do refresher course myself BARTS prior to deploying, I still have all my notes and read them, I do keep up to date as well.

Well done, Rune .
    I will be taking a basic 1st aid course sometime in the summer. And then hopefully I'll be able to squeeze in an advanced course to be certified for 1st aid.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

At my employer, we are provided a rudimentary course which is labelled "AET" or "Annual Expert Training." Somehow after a 6 hour course that covers first-aid, CPR, physical and cybersecurity, and road hazard awareness; we are considered first-aid and CPR "certified." I do appreciate the training, though, because I have very active children and a swimming pool in the back yard.

I thank God I've never had to use the training for anything more than treating a few open wounds and one shock victim with a dislocated elbow (oh, and the guy who had a grand mal seizure in the office...)

Good stuff, Rune. Like the quote from Cody Lundin in Jon's signature says, "Be prepared, not scared."

Josh
    "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time..." ~Steven Wright~

Well done Rune, now practice, bandage the wife, that can lead to fun
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Having a think back, I used to do regular work (and DofE) related first aid training. I reckon the last time was 1993, maybe 92. You got me thinking, maybe I should find a course too.

Have to keep up to date what with Scouts and DofE. Good thing too as it has been used a few times out of those situations the worst being quite a nasty accident involving a scooter and two lorries.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Have to keep up to date what with Scouts and DofE. Good thing too as it has been used a few times out of those situations the worst being quite a nasty accident involving a scooter and two lorries.
    To be able to use the knowledge and training when called to do so is admirable, this really should be a skill we all keep current. You never know when it could save a life. This has inspired me to take a refresher course and not be complacent with my very basic level of training.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”