Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (Wool) blankets... What for?

Robb,

In the right place, I don't think you can go wrong with a woolen blanket, the Dutch army ones are especially good if you aren't concerned about weight, but the Alpaca ones are a delight. Mine came direct from Ecuador, and although pricey they were a third to half the price of the ones in the UK.

Graham

Thanks for the tip Graham, il have a look.

Robb
    Every mile on a river takes you further from home than every hundred miles on a road.

I hope thats a birchbark canoe in your pocket.... - I guess i should give some credit to Metal Mug

Robb,

If you don't find anything I can pass you on sources for both the Dutch army and Alpaca blankets, but you may want to investigate things on your own first.

Graham

No problem il keep that in mind. I know where to get the dutch blankets, but i have never come across alpaca blankets before.

thanks, Robb
    Every mile on a river takes you further from home than every hundred miles on a road.

I hope thats a birchbark canoe in your pocket.... - I guess i should give some credit to Metal Mug

Quote Originally Posted by RobbC View Post
    No problem il keep that in mind. I know where to get the dutch blankets, but i have never come across alpaca blankets before.

thanks, Robb
    Mine came from this unlikely source

http://great-gift-ideas-etc.com/soft...5e36cc07041c8e.

There are several alternatives on E-bay, but I found that when I made enquiries none of the cheaper ones were 100% alpaca. You also need to be careful that its 100% "baby" alpaca . The non-baby alpaca is used to make horse blankets and cheap products for tourists (and ebay sales !!). Baby alpaca actually comes from adult alpaca, but only part of the fleece is suitable.

When I bought mine, they worked out including carriage, Duty and VAT at £60.00 each.

I found a wool blanket in TK Maxx for £6.99, I did dye it green as cream wasn't too stealthy.

Very handy to wrap around yourself for a jump out the hammock call of nature during the night.