Trapper

Tip for keeping your cooking gear clean

Got sick of my crusader getting stained, so found a more efficient method

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0158.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	13260

I use these cos theyre lighter than a can and you can just pop them into your boiling water to heat them and still have a clean pan! you also have hot water for a brew!
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

Trapper
    Do you have to remove the lid first, I'd have thought they would explode otherwise. Also don't you worry about them exploding in your pack?

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcrusher View Post

I use these cos theyre lighter than a can and you can just pop them into your boiling water to heat them and still have a clean pan! you also have hot water for a brew!
    Even lighter if you dehydrate them before trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Law View Post
    Do you have to remove the lid first, I'd have thought they would explode otherwise. Also don't you worry about them exploding in your pack?
    Why would they explode in your pack? They're beans not unstable TNT
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

LOL They'll make your bum explode later in the latrine
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

I leave the lid on the plastic pack and I've just kept the water simmering and so far no burst packs. Not had any problems in my pack with breakage.. Yet Lol!
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcrusher View Post
    I leave the lid on the plastic pack and I've just kept the water simmering and so far no burst packs. Not had any problems in my pack with breakage.. Yet Lol!
    So no miraculously exploding beans then?
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Alone in the Wilderness
    Quote Originally Posted by Law View Post
    Got sick of my crusader getting stained, so found a more efficient method

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0158.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	13260
    as long as you dont mind the chemicals and platic being released to your meal from iinterior coating of the tin youll be fine for some time
    there is reason why they dont rust from inside..

I suspect the "danger" of significant amounts of chemicals being released from plastics is highly over rated. Even if it is not, I refuse to join the Fear Culture. I've been boiling in and cooking in plastics for four decades. Zero health issues. Sure, not a statistically valid study. Whatever. On to more important things.

Speaking of things exploding in one's pack...

I've packed in frozen bread dough several times. Lots of options with it. Obviously make hot fresh bread on the trail by wet, dry or plank baking. I also deep fry it. The deep fried dough balls can be dredged in cinnamon and sugar as doughnuts for breakfast or dunked in a mixture of Italian seasonings, salt, crushed red pepper and olive oil or butter as a supper time hors d'oeuvre.

Well, we all know bread rises because of the yeast. Thus, if left in the pack too long, it will explode all over everything. Even worse, soaks into things and can be terribly difficult to get out. Packed in a plastic bread bag while solidly frozen, a Ziploc, wrapped in newspaper, then aluminum foil. Still got out. Learned my lesson about not sticking to the plan and putting off making it for a full day. Not such a good idea.