Thread: Question about back supports in rucksack

Trapper

Question about back supports in rucksack

Here's the pack I'm using -

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/me...n/r/nrt066.jpg

Inside it has two metal rods for back support with the option of removing them. I'm wondering what people think of them, do you use them or take them out? Will I risk back pain if I remove them before my next trip?

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I've had a browse through the website at the rucksack in question dimensions make up etc.. depends on the metal rods. are they tubular or flat? how are they placed inside the material framework? Try the rucksack on with what your planning to carry with & without the rods see which is more comfortable. IMHO I'd be more prone to breaking in the rucksack well before my venture just like I would a pair of boots. Looking at the image Ok it's purely for the sales pitch but if it were to be bulked out like so, I'm pretty sure you would have more than a sore back, that is for sure lugging that around. Next time I'm in town I know a store that have such on sale, I'll have a look inside at the rods structure, it may shine more light on the subject in answer to your thread posted.
    Regards
    David

Trapper
    I've used the bag twice already, but I've only just realised the (flat) rods can be removed. Just wanted to see who uses/does not use them in theirs. I might just remove them next time, but worried about back pain half way through my trip.

I don't have the pack you describe, but I know lots of folks in the States who use ALICE packs oftentimes choose not to use the frame for day trips and even multi-day outings. With extended trips or distance hikes, the frame is a nice addition to help centre the load properly so that you don't get back pains or strains.

I would give a test by packing all your kit inside the ruck first, without the rods, and seeing how it feels on the back. Maybe give it a 3 miles hike or so for a "real-world" test - if it's comfortable, I'd say go for it. If not, if the trip you have planned requires covering distance (16 km/10 miles or more), especially over rugged terrain, I would leave them in.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

The idea of internal frames and their removal is not really as an option to take them out and not put them back in, but to allow you to shape them to best suit your individual body needs
    I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy