Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is this ?

Hobo

what is this ?

Anyone know what this is? is this what is known as "Horses Hoof" ?Name:  Photo1354.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  31.9 KB

Artists conk, also known as Ganoderma applanatum. Can get some good amadou from the trama layer
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Hobo
    Hi Adam,

Thanks for that, i didn't pick it so left on the tree i understand that theres a bit of a process to get the Amadou.

regards
    Ian

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    If your going to harvest this for tinder, leave some intact for next time, only take what you need. Processing Amadou.. http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...ou-preparation go on give it a try.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by craftybushman View Post
    Hi Adam, Thanks for that, i didn't pick it so left on the tree i understand that there's a bit of a process to get the Amadou.
    regards
    Ian

No problem Ian. Here to help and share knowledge

There is quite a bit of processing, with drying and boiling I believe, but it is possible to cut a thin slice, and rough it up with a scraping motion, so that it will take a spark. The quick method works with fire steels, but not so easily with traditional flint and striker. The processed form will take a weaker spark a little easier.

All the best

As David says, it's usually best to leave as much as you can, until you need some. This fungi takes a long time to grow.

Hobo
    Hi guys and thanks , no i didn't touch it really another time maybe just interesting to know, to be honest i don't really like hacking at anything not unless i know more about it.

thanks anyway

Ian.

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    I watched a vid on processing this - takes a long time to grow and nearly as long to scrape and boil! Would say leave it alone and use something else for tinder. Nice to know it's there and "could" be used but it can't be worth all the effort surely...
    On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson

Hobo
    yeah i have gone into it and Wow! what a process but as you say, it's a nice to know thing, all part of the knowledge pool.

Ian.

The pore tubes of Artists Conk and Horse Hoof are my favorite coal extender. Cut a slice, touch an ember to one end and it will slowly burn until there is nothing left but fine white ash. No tending needed. Turkey Tail and Shelf fungi aren't bad coal extenders either. Just not as good though. Some tending required, especially with most Shelf fungi.

Find most fungi dead and dry with beetle tunnels through it on the trees more often than alive hereabouts. The trauma layer of Artists Conk and Horse Hoof can be charred rather than made into amadou.