Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ticks on dartmoor

Sadly these are things we soon have to learn how to deal with up here. Until recently we did not have them this far north. But now the sporadic tick has been found this far north as well...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Alone in the Wilderness
    with lyme or any diseases from ticks, i was under impression if you can remove them before 24 hrs since bite you should be fine? i understand tick after about 24 hours or if squeezed while removing will puke itself and that is when the diseases are transferred to the host- anyone know if the above is true? - i mean this year we get ticks, not even ACV and garlic works 100%, but we trying to caught them asap and so far so good .

To my knowledge there is no time limitation unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    To my knowledge there is no time limitation unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You mean you can catch has stuff even if you remove the tick straight away? Good to know.
    I was under the impression that chances were lower if you caught it early.

Lots of good information here --> https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/removal/index.html

"Lyme disease is caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi and is transmitted to humans through the bite of infected blacklegged ticks. Typical symptoms include fever, headache, fatigue, and a characteristic skin rash called erythema migrans. If left untreated, infection can spread to joints, the heart, and the nervous system. Lyme disease is diagnosed based on symptoms, physical findings (e.g., rash), and the possibility of exposure to infected ticks. Laboratory testing is helpful if used correctly and performed with validated methods. Most cases of Lyme disease can be treated successfully with a few weeks of antibiotics. Steps to prevent Lyme disease include using insect repellent, removing ticks promptly, applying pesticides, and reducing tick habitat. The ticks that transmit Lyme disease can occasionally transmit other tickborne diseases as well."

My suspicion is that since Lymes Disease is a bacterial infection, prompt removal of ticks reduces (but does not totally eliminate) the chance of infection.

Cheers,

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

That's how I interpreted it too. Thanks for the info.