Thread: Anyone camped in Cannock Chase?

Trapper

Anyone camped in Cannock Chase?

Is it a good place to camp? Any reccomendations as to good spots etc..? What are your experiences? I want to get out soon and Cannock is closest to me, although Im not sure if I should go further afield. I don't want to wake up to a group of pissheads or anything.

I have been wondering the same thing. It covers a fair size area so should be possible to find a quieter spot. It would of course be breaking the law. If no damage is done it seems daft that its illegal.

Been there a few times when I was a nipper; huge expanse if I remember; I'm sure there's plenty of quiet spots. Is it forestry commission? I vaguely remember it being plantation? Ill have to google it now!

It is forestry commission. Mixture of moorland, deciduous, and coniferous.

I have been out there a couple of years ago, it is forestry comission land and is extremely hard to get permission but there are some good places to go wandering at any time.

Trapper
    ^ I wasn't planning on asking permission tbh. Just want to know if I'll be safe from intruders. Forestry or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Law View Post
    ^ I wasn't planning on asking permission tbh. Just want to know if I'll be safe from intruders. Forestry or otherwise.
    To be honest, a healthy dose of common sense is needed when "wild camping" on places like the Chase. Where and when would be a big factor, weekends is usually busy with walkers and mountain bikers. If I were you find somewhere off the beaten track and make a nice discrete sleep area in the evening and then break camp early morn, as for being safe from intruders? Can't guarantee that in your own home! But I doubt it if there are any dodgy folk searching for a lonesome camper hidden away in the undergrowth.

The biggest danger from sleeping on the Chase would be the ticks.

Hope this helps?

cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    Had a look at some pics and it looks a lovely spot
    On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson