Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stealth Camping...Some Tips and Tricks

Stealth Camping...Some Tips and Tricks

For those who dare and those bold enough, there is a way of enjoying the outdoors up close without leaving trace
    https://newenglandbushcraft.wordpres...h-camping-101/
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Some great advice there, thanks for sharing.

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    Agreed - excellent advice.
    On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson

Thanks guys .

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin

Cool

I can't stand being in a busy campground. May as well "camp" in a backyard in the city with all the noises. Only noises I want to hear whilst camping are wild animals and wind in the trees!!

Contrary to the opinions of some, stealth does not always equate to illegal. There are areas that allow camping wherever you want within that area. This is called by several names such as: backpack, dispersed or primitive camping. I would add stealth camping to that list.

One interesting aspect of this style (lumping all four of the preceding terms together) is the appreciation for nature it conveys. You just can't find the same stillness, reverence and peace while car camping. The native Americans disparaged the pioneers for "having their feet too far from the earth". City life forces us far from the earth. Stealth/backpack/dispersed/primitive camping brings us closer. One fervently hopes everyone will assiduously practice LNT and also be very careful with their fires so that this privilege is never revoked.

Most people would argue that there are not many areas that allow this style of camping. Here in CONUS, that would be a valid initial perception. Ah, but perceptions can be deceiving!! Most places do not advertise the fact that stealth/backpack/dispersed/primitive camping is allowed. Finding that out often takes a bit of digging. Well worth it!! While at times it can be very frustrating for us aficionados of this style of camping, one should also bear in mind that this digging is also keeping the majority of people in campsites... freeing up more woods for us!! To the victor go the spoils, lol.

Oh, forgot to add: solid article OA&T. It's all about being mindful whilst going about it as you pointed out quite well.

As far as the illegal variety of stealth camping, one could argue that if there are no traces and no one is the wiser, what's the harm? Of course the other hand is "if it was your property, would you want people doing this?" I leave the decision, and the consequences, up to the individual.

The main thorn around here is it takes a bit of creativity to get around parking restrictions. The authorities seem well aware of the possibilities given how the access points are off limits to overnight parking anywhere within walking distance.

Quote Originally Posted by DuxDawg View Post
    "if it was your property, would you want people doing this?"
    Yes of course, and I see absolutely no problem with it provided people bring their trash out and practice "leave no trace" as best as they can.
    Then agian, I am in Norway where it would be illegal to deny people access to both roam and camp, provided they follow the "All mens right" freedom to roam laws and codes.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Well, I'm glad of the positive reception here...then again I know much of you folks . I posted this on a US forum (don't worry, it wasn't BushbullyUSA), and except for a few folks, I was nitpicked for advocating illegal camping on their supposed private land, and that it was totally OK to trespass, all that nonsense. At least the mods there weren't among the naysayers. Either these idiots can't read, or they have attitude issues. Whatever it was, it seemed intentional.
    Now I know why the wise folks there rarely post. As for me, I like spending more time here - this place has truly earned the "friendliest Bushcraft forum on the net" title...thank you Ashley and all the mods for keeping it so

~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin

I've had the same types of experiences on outdoors forums. On bushbullyusa it was conform to the herd's opinion - no matter how erroneous - or get piled upon. Brutal. On most other forums it was "crickets chirping" as we say. If you don't like what I say, let's have a conversation not an one-sided argument. At least the people here are much more polite and fun!

Quote Originally Posted by DuxDawg View Post
    I've had the same types of experiences on outdoors forums. On bushbullyusa it was conform to the herd's opinion - no matter how erroneous - or get piled upon. Brutal. On most other forums it was "crickets chirping" as we say. If you don't like what I say, let's have a conversation not an one-sided argument. At least the people here are much more polite and fun!
    The silly part is that it was on Blades and Bushlore, formerly Blades and Bushcraft...and most of those people were banned members on BushbullyUSA . The few good folks there make occasional posting worthwhile, though.

~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin