Thread: Tips for keeping clean a crusader cup?

Trapper

Tips for keeping clean a crusader cup?

This is the cup I use...

http://app.resrc.it/O=80/http://www....-Steel-C21.jpg

Problem is the food tends to get congealed in the cup as the food cooks. Anyone know any effective tips for cleaning it whilst out in the bush? Thanks.

I haven't used a crusader. but scraping with a stick and scrubbing with sand, gravel etc usually removes a lot of stuff. Also slugs have really mean teeth. they'll munch some really tough stuff off given time. or you could carry a scourer with you.

I always use a Crusader cup at camp and have a thing about keeping it clean. The outside is never scrubbed, but gently wiped to keep it campfire black. The inside is kept as clean as possible. I usually fill it with water and leave it until it softens and then use a piece of green kitchen scrubby pad to bring it back to new.

If you cant get it clean, give it a squirt of thin bleach and leave it overnight. By the morning it should wipe out clean and then flush with water.

I do not use a crusader cup, but my stainless steel stuff I just do as above. If I am near water when I cook, and I alwayts am, I just fill the cup with water and heat it up to help losen annything that gets stuck, then scrub it clean with moss, sand or grass....whatever is available. Sometimes I will add a few drops of fayry liquid to a washing up sponge and stick it in a plastic bag for cleaning up.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I made the fatal mistake of forgetting to clean mine after cooking in it, was in the garage for about a month.
    Took mine to work and bead blasted it, came up like new. Now I remember to clean it after use.
    I fill mine half full of water and a wee drop of washing up liquid and put back on the heat to soften whatever is left in and then just wipe out with a cloth I keep for the job.

Samuel Hearne
    I have used many things to clean the inside of my mug from mud to a brillo pad, but now I nearly always have a bit of scotch brite in my water bottle pouch, I also just wipe the outside of my mug but the inside is cleaned, its a good mug as its boils my water, cooks/ heats my food and is very handy for holding my Brandy or Port.
    Last edited by ian c; 07-03-2015 at 08:29 PM.

I'm a bit CDO when it comes to cleaning ( That's OCD but in alphabetical order ) anyways up I carry a steel ribbon scourer works a treat.........both inside and out...sorry
    Campfires are best shared with friends.