Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your "signature dish?"

What's your "signature dish?"

We all have differing levels of knowledge and in some cases specific skills such as knife making or leather work etc. What do you consider the one bushcraft thing that you are really good at?

For me it's probably catering, whether just for me or a group. So, tell us about the skill that sets you apart from the rest....
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Jack of all really but cooking and making my own kit ( tarp, hammock , UQ , stoves ) etc ,its for others to say if I mastered anything
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Not really 'mastered' anything useful but I can sleep just about anywhere in anything if that counts

Not particularily good at anything in bushcraft. I have got the attention span of a 2 year old, so anything that takes time or effort I ditch.
    Like spoon making. Okay, made a couple of spoons....3 years ago, still got them, no need for new ones.
    Same with fishing sticks....
    An the rest of the stuff I made has either been rubbish, and replaced by a commercial product, found on Ebay or AliExpress.
    The only thing I have "mastered" is making fire with flint and steel using birch bark as a tinder. I am good at that.
    Oh and I can cook up a mean reindeer stew over that fire, plus another dish that I can't talk in public about on Engslish speaking forums....foreigners always get their knickers in a twist when I mention it, lol

Basically I am a camper, not a bushcrafter :-)
    On most trips the most bushcrafty I do is whipping out the knife to sharpen a couple sticks to barbecue my hot dogs on....
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 22-02-2015 at 02:19 PM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Foraging - IDing plants and trees here, knowing their practical uses, and applying that from a primitive mindset. There are certainly others far more learned than I, but what sets me apart from the majority is that I don't care for gourmet garbage with a touch of red wine on the side, something I detest. I don't care how to make edible plants become a fancy 5 star restaurant staple, I want to learn as much as I can from experimenting in-field with them, and if that means cooking them primitively (no metal cooking utsensils), then I will . My one weakness in this area is that I am far less knowledgeable with fungi, but I am slowly improving.
    I'm also really good at fiddly tasks...the Stars have blessed me with a healthy amount of patience. .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Over the years I've tried a lot of 'bushcraft' stuff, friction fire lighting, shelter building et al but like fishyfolk I think of myself as a camper. I enjoy various kit both old and new.

I'm a good cook at home and out camping...and modest

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3596 (Custom).JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	13040

Name:	100_3604 (Custom).JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	13041

Name:	100_2974 (Custom).JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	13042

Name:	100_2977 (Custom).JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	13043
    Richard
    South Wales UK

That food looks great rik_uk3, where are we meeting lol

Quote Originally Posted by bopdude View Post
    Not really 'mastered' anything useful but I can sleep just about anywhere in anything if that counts
    That's a skill that I could do with. you have my admiration.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Since it's not likely that any of you will ever enjoy my cooking skills (count yourself blessed), I thought I'd share one of my favourite recepees....

Okay...here goes.

Cook some jasmine rice.

Take around 100-150 grams of bacon and chop it up
    Take around 10 hot dogs, and do same.

Throw it into a wok and brown the hot dogs and bacon.
    While doing tat, finely chop up about 10-15 cm of a leek (if you do not have it, you can use half an onion, finely chopped).
    Throw it into the wok.
    Add a pich of salt and as much black pepper as you dare!

When that has browned, turn the heat to the very minimum. And cover the bacon, hot dogs and leek with a good layer of the type of cheese you would put on a pizza.
    Cover the cheese layer with a 3 cm thick layer ready made jasmine rice.

Whip up two whole eggs, wiuth egg yolk and the lot. Drizle that on top of the rice, so that every part of the rice is yellow with eggs. If you need more than two use another...

Cover with a lid and let cook on the lowest heat setting you have for 5 minutes, or until the eggs have solidified.

Serve warm, and with a cold lager!

The leftovers if any can be eaten for supper later in the eveneing, if heated up in a micro.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Fried Chicken and onions - Herbs to taste and rolled in a Tortilla with Mayo

It's quick, simple and tortillas travel better than bread, sometimes I use Pittas
    Campfires are best shared with friends.