Thread: Knife making tutorial series

Knife making tutorial series

There are lot of sections to this video series tutorial. To start off with his fabrication techniques made me cringe. But I reached, and just finished watching, "How to make a knife - 5 Normalising"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS4yXY_X-uA

I'm in awe of this guys understanding of the material. If you look at how even he has got the blade, out of the forge, you have to be impressed. I am.

Its good all right but where did he get that mad looking vice grips would be handy

They are a bit mad looking, I've never seen them before.

I'm half way through, "How to make a knife - 6 Applying clay and hardening" He's using a technique I never learned in tool making, but I never made a knife before. he has me curious.

I think THESE are what you saw in the video. Hope the link works.

Saved the video to watch later, I always love seeing other's techniques.

All the best,

Josh
    "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time..." ~Steven Wright~

I think THESE are what you saw in the video. Hope the link works.
    Unless they do a different model than the link goes to that's not them. Incase anyone recognises them here's a screen shot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-02-10 at 19.04.36.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	12991

I just watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HOtuvSMmg4 "How to make a knife - 6 Applying clay and hardening" and I kind of get what he's doing with the narrowing of the blade towards the tip, the clay to spread the heat, and the symmetry on both sides. But he doesn't really explain it, does anyone know the reasoning for the pattern?
    Last edited by Magicdave; 10-02-2015 at 06:09 PM. Reason: additional info

Oops! My mistake, I skimmed through the video and only saw them when he was taking the knife out of the forge. THIS is what he's using.

Could also be Triplett TT-200 LONGLOCKERS.

Oops! My mistake, I skimmed through the video and only saw them when he was taking the knife out of the forge. THIS is what he's using.

Could also be Triplett TT-200 LONGLOCKERS.
    Nice, for the sake of thread completeness we now have a link for anyone interested.

Thanks.

Just ordered one of them grips should be handy for holding a blade when heating Thanks for the link
    Last edited by peterbermingham; 10-02-2015 at 07:00 PM.

Glad to help. Looking forward to watching that video later...I still haven't found the time.
    ATB
    Josh

I, eventually, just finished watching all the video's. They're very long and at times it's tempting to skip through, but there's lots of little gems of comments that will be missed if you do.

The end result is a fantastic looking knife, some of the fabrication techniques really are cringeworthy, but his attention to detail is fantastic. At the end of the day the fabrication issues are only a means to an end. And the end, being what counts, is excellent. For the most part the scary techniques become irrelevant.

The end product is something that he should have no issues offering a lifetime, after lifetime guarantee on. I found it was a nightmare navigating the video's in order on Youtube, so here's a direct link to the playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtUm...hc-OogbHO4D0eG