Thread: Between the poles..

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar

Wink Between the poles..

Two winters ago I managed to collect a stress fracture to my right foot. Distance+rough ground+heavy Bergan+age resulted in a small piece of bone flaking off. As I found out in early January down on Exmoor, any distance over about 5-6 miles on rough ground carrying a load now results in discomfort . I remember the xray Nurse who explained the injury saying " Oh, you'll have to get some hiking sticks"...I didn't think about it until the other day in the local Outdoors Shop.Two sticks for the price of one, final sale reduction!! I thought I would give them a try at that price..

It's a long steady climb up onto the Downs from the river valley

Looking up the trail, it's steeper than it looks. The walking poles (cheap end of the many available) have spring loaded shock absorbers and it was here I really noticed that they actually work, I could feel the shocks working, plodding up the steep side of the Down.

Sunny but very cold, the wind has a bite keeping the temperature down around freezing and I have all the appropriate kit so the Bergan is not superlight.

Beautiful as ever, I saw nobody all day except a tractor crawling over the land in the distance.

The bright sun is deceiving, proper kit is advisable.

In the far distance the town huddles under the protection of the grey castle.

I found the walking poles take a bit of getting used to, I started by tending to stab them into the ground rather than reach out ahead with them. Once I'd cracked the left-right-left system I found I was covering known distances quicker, not because I was walking quicker but using the poles, for me at least, seems to increase the length of my stride and I cover distance that little bit quicker.

But..here was the real revelation..the trail crossed a field of young Kale, the soil had softened in the sun and was very slippery. The walking poles made a huge difference in walking in those conditions.

Off the Kale and onto the plough. The farmer had run a heavy Tractor across the field to designate the public Bridleway which had been ploughed under. There is no doubt that I would have found crossing this without the poles a much more precarious business. Here they were of great benefit.

Imbolc, the old Celtic festival. Imbolc marks 'the time of the Lambing'...and here in a warm field these little woolie jumpers follow the wheel of the year...

Turn for home now, the temperature has dropped and I'm feeling the miles.

Here's the poles alongside my usual walking companion, a Hazel staff with my Saxon friend that I cut into it..

His helmet is the end cap from an industrial strip light I found in a rubbish skip..I felt he needed the protection from invading Vikings..

I've run the little map measurer over the paper map route three times just to avoid inaccurate readings and it's shown 14.1 miles each time, so a fair walk and today no tell tale ache in my right foot, so all in all I think the poles are of benefit to me.
    They won't go on walks along the level seashore route I take sometimes or to the wood but long wanders over the Downs will be made with the poles in future.

And that's about it from me for a while. Soon I'm going to load the Guzzi up with my camping gear and go for a wander up Norfolk way to the big coastal nature reserves. I'll try to come back with some photos.
    Whatever path you follow, travel safely all.
    Sax..

That's a lot of open country .
    Interesting...I've heard a lot from both sides as to trekking poles - some really like them, others frown and call them "sissy-sticks" lol, but if they help make the trip more enjoyable, by all means use them . I've found that a staff as tall as me does I need and more - the greater height compared to a shorter staff allows me better control descending the steep, rocky hills here, and it's invaluable for crossing streams and rivers. It is also the perfect height as a centre pole for my DD half-laavu setup . Just a well-seasoned piece of an American Beech sapling, no fancy engravings, but I have it adorned with the feathers of a few woodland tweeps and a leather wrap.

Then again, I'm still young . LOL Your Saxon's helmet will do just fine so long as Thor doesn't target him with a bolt of lightning .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

I have to admit I had them way back when in my hill walking days, I found with a heavy pack the difference was noticeable. Also these days you can use them as tent poles in some light weight tents.

Cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

The walking poles....said I'd give up if I ever needed a stick!!!!
    Then when hunting wild boar I twisted my knee.Lucky for me a hunter from the previous weeks.hunting had left a pair of these sticks in the mini bus.Grugingly accepted them.strapped my knee up n perciveered.
    How wrong I'd been !! steep wet banks,up or down through the forrest.Made walking a pleasure n take so much weight of your knees.
    First thing I did on my return was purchase two sets.(ALDI 2 for the price off one.)
    Also when doing some reading up on them.Found the royal marines use them when yomping.and a university had done a calculated report.distance,load,effort,with n without the sticks.the tonage it saved pressing down on your knees,was almost unbelievable.
    A convert.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Always have sticks with me but usage depends on the terrain. I'm on Exmoor again this weekend so will probably be used. As already stated mine are required for my Silpeak tent

Tried it once. And ended up carrying them collapsed in one hand...then stuffing them in the sack. But will bring them if I ever have to walk far down hill. Else my traditional walking stick is fine...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    Always had a pair with me for many years now, multi purpose too.

Alone in the Wilderness
    Wouldn't be without them :-) Got me off a Scottish hill in Winter when my knee gave out. Great for steadying on slippery ground, especially with a heavy pack. And turns my tarp into a tent.

Quote Originally Posted by zoot View Post
    Wouldn't be without them :-) Got me off a Scottish hill in Winter when my knee gave out. Great for steadying on slippery ground, especially with a heavy pack. And turns my tarp into a tent.
    Hi ZOOT,Welcome to the forum,.We have an introduce yourself section.If you look down the listings.
    Then all the active members can welcome you aboard n to their etc.also answer any questions you may have re your interests.Atb.Mike.aka midas.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

I was always a bit dubious about walking poles.
    I think it's because I never liked the look of them. But I was also unsure about how effective they were.
    Then I bought a pair, since they were in a sale.
    I must say I was VERY impressed with how they help, especially on the uphill bits.
    I made the mistake of buying those twist-lock ones. They were rubbish, and I'd always advise against buying them. I only tend to use poles on difficult stretches, so like the fact they collapse and you can stick then back on your pack when not needed. But I had those twist-lock ones bind up on me a few times, and it was seriously aggravating.
    In a fit of pique I binned them.
    Then I bought a pair that have a lever-lock. So much better! It's worth spending that extra couple of quid (and it is only a couple of quid) on the lever lock. Easy to use when needed and easy to put away when not.
    I'm a real convert to walking poles. On the flat I don't use them, but when going up and down the Downs I do.

Oh yeah, and as others have said - you can also use them to set your tarp up if there are no trees about.
    Last edited by Humakt; 11-02-2015 at 10:47 AM.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/