Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: left handed spoon knife

left handed spoon knife

hey guys, I have been looking at getting a spoon knife for a while and can only find the mora 164 in right handed, and I am left handed. I would prefer single bevel as I would rather have one edge I could really work with over 2 less wieldable bevels. so does any body know where one might find a left handed one? or perhaps another cheap seller? or maybe would like to sell one? any input is appreciated!

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Have you tried Amazon? www.amazon.co.uk I bought mine a long while back from a 3rd party & I had one gifted recently, I'm unsure where the gifted blade came from? (I'll ask) both knives have double edged blades so it suits both right handed or left handed people, it also has a chisel nose.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    hello,
    Have you tried Amazon? www.amazon.co.uk I bought mine a long while back from a 3rd party & I had one gifted recently, I'm unsure where the gifted blade came from? (I'll ask) both knives have double edged blades so it suits both right handed or left handed people, it also has a chisel nose.
    Regards
    David
    Well I know that the Mora 162/3 both come with 2 bevels, but I only want 1, in left handed. As mentioned previously, I prefer the increase in control with 1 bevel

Samuel Hearne
    How about getting the double sided one then file down the side that you don't want to use.

I have a left handed Spoon knife by Svante Djarv that might be worth a look - I believe they are still available from woodlandcraftsupplies.co.uk.

I haven't used mine in three years. If you don't mind a second hand one, it's up for sale. It's been used on exactly one love spoon (pending divorce forces sale ), so it's in excellent condition.

Robin Wood. The fella has probably carved more spoons than the entire membership on here and now makes his own spoon knives to boot. To my mind, the shape of his compound curve blade looks absolutely perfect. A real do-it-all and do-it-well. I note that his web shop is closed 'til 6th April but they do say the best things come to those who wait. £23 for blade only is fantastic and as they are round tang, handles will be pretty simple to fit. There is even a description on how to do this on the page: http://www.robin-wood.co.uk/shop/spo...ade-left-hand/

Alternatively, Ben Orford makes excellent tools which I can attest to as I have umpteen. The following knife isn't cheap but you get what you pay for and this beauty will last you out given minimal care - buy well, buy once. Ben's a great chap to deal with and a hell of a wood carver/turner to boot.

http://benandloisorford.com/store/#!...tegory=8705023

As far as the Mora spoon knives go, I personally can't stand them but their 106 and 120 sloyd knives are excellent.
    Last edited by Nativewood; 24-03-2015 at 05:21 PM.
    "There is a willow grows aslant a brook,
    That shows his hoar leaves in the glassy stream." - William Shakespeare

Deepwoodsventures sells a left handed model. Great knives to
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and

One with Nature
    hello,
    Ranger I was going to offer you a double edged, left & right handed blade, brand new, crook knife, as a gift in a possible trade no money involved. I was in the Royal Mail both local & Head Office today in Glasgow with reference to mailing *airmail a crook knife. I was trying to find details on how I could mail such an item as present legislation prohibits the mailing of knives. Yet again, along similar lines to a previous item being mailed, I took along the item to show them that it was a *tool had a blade guard everything rendering it safe to handle, named it everything but a *knife & yet Royal Mail in their wisdom won't accept such in the nicest possible way off course, said it could be confiscated or destroyed. I've chatted with another courier company who charge more than Royal Mail for most deliveries, I even offered to pack such in front of them & alike Royal Mail place the contents of the package within the disclaimer of contents as a *tool non hazardous etc.. yet another *refusing to accept such for delivery either inland or over seas.
    I suppose you will just have to keep looking my friend.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    hello,
    Ranger I was going to offer you a double edged, left & right handed blade, brand new, crook knife, as a gift in a possible trade no money involved. I was in the Royal Mail both local & Head Office today in Glasgow with reference to mailing *airmail a crook knife. I was trying to find details on how I could mail such an item as present legislation prohibits the mailing of knives. Yet again, along similar lines to a previous item being mailed, I took along the item to show them that it was a *tool had a blade guard everything rendering it safe to handle, named it everything but a *knife & yet Royal Mail in their wisdom won't accept such in the nicest possible way off course, said it could be confiscated or destroyed. I've chatted with another courier company who charge more than Royal Mail for most deliveries, I even offered to pack such in front of them & alike Royal Mail place the contents of the package within the disclaimer of contents as a *tool non hazardous etc.. yet another *refusing to accept such for delivery either inland or over seas.
    I suppose you will just have to keep looking my friend.
    Regards
    David
    I am sorry that you're mail service won't allow you to send knives, and that really grinds my gears too as I can hardly buy anything overseas, and not to mention that Europe is one of the most bushcrafty places on earth offering supreme quality tools. I would have loved to trade as I really want to start making spoons and small bowls/cups. I really appreciate your efforts and really want to do some trading!

One with Nature
    hello Ranger,
    Well if you consider between the cost of the crook knife and shipping costs etc.. it's an expensive way to see such an item be either confiscated/destroyed & who knows what other costs could be incurred in the process?
    Regards
    David

I am sorry that you're mail service won't allow you to send knives, and that really grinds my gears too as I can hardly buy anything overseas, and not to mention that Europe is one of the most bushcrafty places on earth offering supreme quality tools. I would have loved to trade as I really want to start making spoons and small bowls/cups. I really appreciate your efforts and really want to do some trading!