Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few questions

A few questions

hi all. I am beginning to like the idea of hammocks and tarps. but I am 6' 6" tall and 105 KGs so
    Q 1. are they comfy
    Q 2. do they make them my size
    Q 3. will I fall out of it a lot
    Q 4. do the mid price one's work well
    Q 5. what one should I buy
    Q 7. can an idiot put one up
    Q 8. what happened to Q6
    So as you can see I've never even been near a hammock. I did however see a tarp the other day. anyway I am not after surviving the Artic sub zero. or trying to save 3oz in weight.
    just want to use it spring to autumn in sunny Devon. Any input would be gratefully received thanks

Quote Originally Posted by haytor7 View Post
    hi all. I am beginning to like the idea of hammocks and tarps. but I am 6' 6" tall and 105 KGs so
    Q 1. are they comfy
    Q 8. what happened to Q6
    So as you can see I've never even been near a hammock. I did however see a tarp the other day. anyway I am not after surviving the Artic sub zero. or trying to save 3oz in weight.
    just want to use it spring to autumn in sunny Devon. Any input would be gratefully received thanks
    Iwould never go back to ground dwelling unless absolutely had no choice. They are extremely comfortable, yes they are made for your size and weight, no you wont fall out at all (well I never have and ive been pretty slaughtered) An extra large tenth wonder is fair priced and is a good starter. Q6 is 1/3 of a devilishly hard question with an unknown answer. I get a better nights sleep im my hammock than in my bed, apparently 1/3 of the world still sleep in hammocks so that must say somthing. I made mine but have bought one since, although I still havnt used it. Heres a tutorial from Lonnie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_TrVzbB06w . good luck, Ken
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

1. Yes, and many folks will tell you that they are luxurious compared to ground camping...but it really comes down to personal preference. I like ground camping as much as hammocking, though my tastes change with the seasons. In the warmer months, I string up the hammock, but in winter I prefer to snooze on the ground. The advantage with a hammock is that your setup is fairly quick, and you don't have to worry about finding flat ground, or clearing away stones and roots that would otherwise stick into your back if you chose to sleep on the ground.
    2. Yes, I know Hennessy does, they have a larger hammocks under the 'Explorer' Line, the Deluxe and Ultralite
    3. I've never fallen out of my hammock, though getting in and out takes some getting used to at first.
    4. ENO (Eagle's Nest Outfitters), Grand Trunk, and Dutchwaregear make excellent hammocks for the price...however, only Dutchwaregear appears to make hammocks for your size. Something else to keep in mind is that they offer a fairly minimalistic hammock (no mozzie net), while Hennessy's comes with more bells and whistles (including the rainfly/tarp to cover the hammock as part of the price). However, I should mention that Dutchwaregear has options for whoopie slings or webbing suspension.
    5. That depends...if you want a minimalistic hammock, the Dutchwaregear hammock is a viable option and doesn't cost a lot, but if you want a complete hammock and tarp setup (with webbing suspension straps, tarp and guy lines) in a package, I'd so go for either of the two Hennessy I mentioned.
    6. Yes . You can find demonstrations all over youtube. Practice a bit in your yard to get used to setting it up and taking it down .

Hope this helps, I'll shut up now and let the die-hard hammock lovers give their more meaningful input
    Last edited by OakAshandThorn; 19-01-2015 at 10:31 PM. Reason: oops forgot link
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

As said. Many people find them very comfortable, but many also find them restrictive. Without trying, you'll never know unfortunately
    I've known a 25 stone lad, of about the same height as you, and he's had many nights in a DD hammock, prior to purchasing a more roomy ridgerunner hammock.
    It's a lot harder to fall out of one than you'd expect, but can always set it close to the ground until you're more at ease with the idea.
    They are very simple to put up, but there are also many complicated suspension methods out there too, if you want to customise, or "improve" on your hammocking experience.
    I'd start with a DD travel, frontline, or camping hammock. All of those are the same size, just with different features (bug nets, water resistant base, twin layer base), and they are cheaper than many other hammocks, with good build quality, and strength. Once you decide hammocking is for you, you can always upgrade to a fancy one if you like
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by haytor7 View Post
    Q 1. are they comfy
    Q 8. what happened to Q6

Q7. Yes, I can.

I'd suggest trying to get on a meet and you'll be able to see the various configurations etc and watch other folks set their hammocks up. One last thing - I find it so much easier to dry my tarp than I do a tent.

Cheers,

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Watch Shug and he will answer your questions, then go to a few meets and they will show you the rest

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...752777861C2AA8

Q 1. No one can answer that for you, I'm afraid. You'll just have to get in one and decide for yourself.
    Q 2. Yes.
    Q 3. No.
    Q 4. Yes. I have a cheap one (Tenth Wonder XL) and mid-price one (DD Travel), and both work well.
    Q 5. I prefer the Tenth Wonder XL with a separate mossie net (which you can buy from DD). Hammocks with built-in mossie nets are bulky, especially when you don't need the mossie net. Having a separate one is much better, in my opinion.
    Q 7. Depends on how complicated you want to make your set-up. But, at it's simplest, if you can tie your shoelaces then you can put one up. If you're still wearing slip-ons then you may want to stay on the ground.
    Q 8. It fell out of the hammock.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    My answers are as Humakt states above really. My ageing back loves my hammock and there are many easy ways to hang them. I would recommend the double layer hammocks as you can put a sleep mat between the layers, a thermal barrier is a necessity (there are other ways to achieve this too).
    For more info' search on the forum or check out my Pinterest Bushcraft page( Link is in my signature below).

Thanks guys. lots to contemplate. I like the tarp with the doors. DD seems to be the main stay. would also be a good idea to go and see them set up..
    still looking.. Thanks again..

Hammock camping is definately the way to go. The guys over the pond have really taken it to another level and there are many companies over there that design their own gear and accessories. Here in the UK we are pretty limited to where we can buy hammocking gear but companies like DD and UK Hammocks have some great stuff. All my gear is TW Hammocks but this company seems to have gone by the wayside and no longer has much stuff in stock.

You certainly don't have to spend a fortune kitting yourself out, and you could start with just a hammock and a cheap plastic tarp until you have made your mind up whether you want to continue down this road. A fortune can be spent on gear if you're not careful but I like making some of my own to keep costs down. Forum member Jus Young did a great 'how to' on making a hammock underquilt out of a sleeping bag and a few people including myself have followed these instructions and made our own.

Youtube is your friend as far as info goes on hammock camping. There are hundreds of vids on there giving loads of info on hammock types, setting up, making your own gear, etc, etc.

Good luck.