Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold car trouble

Cold car trouble

Of course to make sure that absolutely nothing is left for fun when the january bills are paid, it looks like I need a new battery for the car...sp there goes another £100...
    The old one is not up to starting the car when the temps drops to -15*C like it has been since the weekend. Thats the bad end of having a Diesel...think we'll splash out for an an engine and coupe heating system too. That way the engine and the coupe will be warm in the morning...and the car easier to start.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

In the last couple of weeks, the lowest recorded temp in my town was -20*C, and we've had some consistently very cold days with the average minimum temp at -15*C.

The only thing I've noticed going weird on my car has been a delay in my windscreen wiper motor. I flip the stalk to turn them on, there's about a 10 to 15 second delay, and then they decide to work. Once they've begun working for the day, they're fine, but it's that initial use that's the problem. Like they don't want to wake up...

Josh
    "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time..." ~Steven Wright~

WE had the pre heater immersion heaters in the cars n jeeps in Albeta Canada.and even used to plug in to keep the engine warm,when we visited the shops..also Parking in the indoor car-park,if possible,,so as not to freeze the tyres to the ground, whilst parked outside.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown14 View Post
    In the last couple of weeks, the lowest recorded temp in my town was -20*C, and we've had some consistently very cold days with the average minimum temp at -15*C.

The only thing I've noticed going weird on my car has been a delay in my windscreen wiper motor. I flip the stalk to turn them on, there's about a 10 to 15 second delay, and then they decide to work. Once they've begun working for the day, they're fine, but it's that initial use that's the problem. Like they don't want to wake up...

Josh
    Aye, we had an Alberta Clipper from the Canadians . I think the lowest it got here was -18 C at night - daily highs around -7 C with nighttime temps at -14 C. The schools have had delayed openings for a few days now because the diesel turns to jelly .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Josh
    When the cells start to go on the battery, it will simply not hold the amps needed to start the car (very simplified). And a diesel needs a lot of power just to get started. As long as your battery is good there should be no problems. before you hit -30*C. Thats when diesel starts to turn to Jelly...at least the diesel mix around here.
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    Aye, we had an Alberta Clipper from the Canadians . I think the lowest it got here was -18 C at night - daily highs around -7 C with nighttime temps at -14 C. The schools have had delayed openings for a few days now because the diesel turns to jelly .
    I have never heard about a schhol closing in Norway due to cold weather. Not even in Finnmark where -40*C is not uncommon, and where -50*C has been seen too...
    Here on the coast we some times hit the -20* or even -30 but not every winter. somewhere between -15 and -20 celcius is what we ususally get for a few weeks when the siberian winds come.
    But just an hours drive inland and it is -30*celcius while we have -15*c here on the coast.
    (Roald Amundsen)

Forgot to mention, the battery is now replaced, and the 4 year old has learned whole new vocabulary that I will probably hear back from his kindergarten about...
    Anyway, I managed to squeeze ou the old one ( it's a tight fit in these modern engine bays), put it on the ground next to the new one...2 inches too long. So back to the dealer, who mystically found a
    better battery with longer warranty (4 years ain't to bad) than the other one, and for the same price!

Back, installed and cars starts. We'll see in the morning, when bot car and battery is cold...
    (Roald Amundsen)

Its a different tale in uk....1 to 2cm of snow ! and a lot ofv our schools close.!!
    Either the heating system breaks down.or the Teachers cant get there for the snow.Strange but true!
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar

Josh
    That's probably the grease in the gear housing freezing till the overheating motor softens it. Motor could burn out eventually if that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    I have never heard about a schhol closing in Norway due to cold weather. Not even in Finnmark where -40*C is not uncommon, and where -50*C has been seen too...
    Here on the coast we some times hit the -20* or even -30 but not every winter. somewhere between -15 and -20 celcius is what we ususally get for a few weeks when the siberian winds come.
    But just an hours drive inland and it is -30*celcius while we have -15*c here on the coast.
    Hahaha!!! You would laugh at how wimpish the school districts are here . A few days ago we had 5 cm snowfall, and the yolos decided to close all the schools in the area . They didn't use to be so overly dramatic in the past during my childhood, but that was because the officials of that time were from Minnesota. However, I will give them some slack because the diesel they use for the buses here will turn to jelly if the temp falls below -10 C.

You also have to take into account that almost every resident these days came from out-of-state in the south or some other warmer climate. When temps falls below 4 C, they will grumble until May. If it snows more than 13 cm, they whine and complain how "harsh" our winters are.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin