Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dartmoor overnighter advice please

dartmoor overnighter advice please

Hi all

I am after a bit of advice please.

My brother and I are meeting up for an overnighter on dartmoor at the weekend.

We want to park up somewhere reasonably secure where we can leave the cars about lunchtime then have a bit of a wander maybe 3hrs or so then setup camp for the night soemwhere.

Can any body recommend anywhere please

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim

Sorry I can't give any advice to your question but there are a few local lads that will advise soon. They know the place like the back of their hands and will advise once they have seen your post.

Thought it would be a good idea to bump it though.

Good luck and enjoy your time on Dartmoor.

Cheers

Neil

If it's your first time on the moors, it's probably a good idea to camp fairly close to your vehicle, especially this time of year. That mist and fog can roll in very fast, and go from good visibility, to less than a couple metres, in a matter of minutes. The terrain can be pretty demanding too, depending on which part of the moor it is, and if you can keep to the tracks.
    Make sure you're both up to speed with your map reading and compass skills too, just in case.

I'll PM you a nice little parking spot, that's about 10-15 minutes walk to the edge of the moor. Once on the moor there are a few little places worth visiting.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Damn I wished I lived closer to Dartmoor. Looks an amazing place have on your doorstep.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

I am sure Adam's advice is sound as he knows the moors quite well. His advice about safely and preparedness particularly applies but I will repeat: Be sure you take a map and compass and can really use them.

I would suggest parking in Princetown, there is almost no danger of your car being tampered with in town. Then take the track at the back of the Plume of Feathers that takes you south to Nun's Cross Farm. From there you can head further south towards the River Plym, or any direction (except east - Foxtor Mires) that takes your fancy. There are plenty of places to pitch a tent for the night. Close to river is likely to be best - often flat grass, water on hand, out of the wind.

Be safe and enjoy the wonders of Dartmoor.
    “If the apple won't fall - go shake the tree.”
    ― Isaac Newton

Excellent advice from Adam and Ichneumon there for you Tim.

Don't think you will get much better.

Cheers

Thanks guys for the info much appreciated.

What's the deal with fires , I have read they are a no go , I have a very small fold up bbq I was going to take to cook on and use as mini fire pit , I am guessing this would be classed as a fire but not sure , what you guys opinions on this ?

Cheers

Timmy

Correct in thinking that fires are not permitted. Stoves are the best option unless you really can leave no trace. The other issue on the moors is lack of fuel anyway unless you want to go carrying that as well.

Wot Justin sed!
    “If the apple won't fall - go shake the tree.”
    ― Isaac Newton

A folding BBQ would technically be allowed, as it is off the ground. It would fit into the same category as a camping stove, just a large one, that uses solid fuel, rather than gas, or alcohol.
    As Jus says though, wood is scarce on the moor. Much of the woodland around the edges is ancient woodland, so can't even use fallen timbers, as this would damage the eco system that help maintains such areas.

If you're taking a gas stove, make sure it functions properly before you leave. I had a weekend ruined by a faulty valve once lol. Alcohol (meths) stoves are probably the most reliable method, but fuel can weigh a fair bit, and they can be slow to boil water with.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel