Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I too hard on the boy?

Am I too hard on the boy?

The soon to be 16 year old has for 3 days neglected to do his chores, and today i outright refused to do them.
    So I have confiscated his internet and TV priveleges, no TV, no taxi rides by me anywhere, his snow-board is chained to the wall in the shed, No TV, and since todays refusal was about cleaning up after he made a mess in the kitchen and left it there for the 1000th time...he is banned from the kitchen. He will have to make all of his food outside until he wises up ( will probably take him until tomorrow to understand the implications...

So am I too hard on him?
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Tough love, but hard to give advice, you know what is best and they must be taught life lessons. I hope it all works out ok.

I would lift the kitchen and food ban. As for loss of priveleges, he has to realise. Life is not a one way street. You get out what, you put in, tell him he earned them things, with his behaviour, lost them due to his behaviour, and can get them back with improved behaviour. Its up to him.
    Good luck.

Try to talk to him, he is at a mad, crazy age.
    He who says "he can" and he who says "he can't", are both usually right.

Well I was brought up with rewarding good behaviour and disciplining bad behaviour...
    so I cant say your too hard on him

Oh there is no food ban...he just can't cook in the kitchen. And all those things where of course made perfectly clear to him in a calm, normal tone of voice as you would speak to an adult.
    I will let him stew in his own fat until late tomorrow I think. Meanwhile he has withdrawn to his room and is asleep. The first time he is sleeping this early since the holidays started. School on monday so this is perfect to get that straightened up...

Else, he is perfectly capable of using a barbecue, he knows where to find the charcoal...(but he probably will put nothing back in it's place in the shed)
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Wireless passwords are the modern parents best friend! You are definitely not being too hard on him, he is a young adult and needs to behave like one, not a 2 year old.
    I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy

Reminds me of the punishments my old man used to dish out when my brother and I used to step out of line. I turned out alright, my brother was always questionable anyway, but I always warn my kids that they will never get away with anything as I pretty much tried it all!

Samuel Hearne
    Nothing wrong with teaching them right from wrong and for punishing them when they misbehave and I think you are being very fair with him.

One day he will thank you for this and you will both have a chuckle about it. It may be a few years down the road though.

I was equally tough on my kids when they 'lost their way'. Now they are all well adjusted and successful in their fields. Stick with it Rune!
    “If the apple won't fall - go shake the tree.”
    ― Isaac Newton

Quote Originally Posted by claverhouse View Post
    Wireless passwords are the modern parents best friend! You are definitely not being too hard on him, he is a young adult and needs to behave like one, not a 2 year old.
    Oh, I can block individual units without having to change the password :-)
    But it stings more to take the phone altogether. :-)

His 'puter is locked out of the wi-fi :-)

Knowing him right, he'll come to his senses tomorrow when his friends come asking for him. They where planning to go to the ski-centre, and I was supposed to drive him...but I sort don't feel like driving tomorrow, he he
    (Roald Amundsen)