Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 weeks in laponia the next summer

Quote Originally Posted by jacob karhu View Post
    @bopdude,
    Carnivorous animals are often afraid by humans.
    - that's what we were told... during the night I had an "interesting" dream featuring the ever-lovely Mrs B. I was even aware of her sensuous Greggs-trained body pushing against my back...

In the morning, we found the tracks of a Wolverine that had been pressing against the tent

happy days ...
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

[QUOTE=jacob karhu;123693]@bopdude,
    Carnivorous animals are often afraid by humans. We will be really fortunately if we have the chance to observe a bear !
    Nevertheless, we'll take some measures : hanging our food supplies every nights, never keep a snack with you during sleeping, be noisy, don't surprise an animal, etc ...

and keep your Rifle or shotgun,handy n loaded.BEWARE THE BEAR!!(They are not cute n cuddley)
    Be most careful if you observe a young bear that looks alone..Mummy will not be far away!!
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

[QUOTE=midas;123709]
    @bopdude,
    Carnivorous animals are often afraid by humans. We will be really fortunately if we have the chance to observe a bear !
    Nevertheless, we'll take some measures : hanging our food supplies every nights, never keep a snack with you during sleeping, be noisy, don't surprise an animal, etc ...

and keep your Rifle or shotgun,handy n loaded.BEWARE THE BEAR!!(They are not cute n cuddley)
    Be most careful if you observe a young bear that looks alone..Mummy will not be far away!!
    If someone spots him with a rifle in a national park in July, he better be ready to come up with a very good explanation for it...and the presence of bears does not meet the cut :-)
    Actually...the only people that get attacked by bears seem to be those that are armed. As every attackk report I have ever seen has been a hunter (and sadly the bear) as victim...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

@happybonzo,

I forgot to mentionned that Wolverine is one of the less afraid by human. Also call the Devil, he'll not hesitate to steal your food even if you are next to, or to track you during miles and miles. But they are fewer and fewer wolverine in the world, that's give us little bit more luckyness ...

@FishyFolk,

I agree with you, it's risqiuer for my friend and I to take a gun than bringing anything, cause no one of us know how to use it properly ! No permit, no knowledge, heavy, no question to carry one.
    English isn't my mother tongue so pliz correct me if i'm wrong, thx !

[QUOTE=midas;123709]
    @bopdude,

Coyotes here have been known to come a little too close for comfort around a camp at night, 'course it helps a lot if you set up far from a den and don't cook any meats over a fire, otherwise you'll have uninvited guests for dinner . Yogie bear and Booboo will leave you alone, provided you keep the food tied up in a bear bag. Yes, indeed....Stars have mercy on he who gets too close to a cub, for mom will be nearby and shred you to pieces.

Great advice, Rune - always best to get guidance from someone who is familiar with the region .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

It so happens that this is one of the few areas left where there are wolverines. You may also encounter Lynx. But I doubt you will meet either of the two in summer. Plenty of small game for them to snack on and they avoid people. It's newspaper headlines when people have seen any of the predators, bear, wolf, lynx and wolverine.

I would vorry more about the most dangerous animal of them all...for humans that is...the moose. Wolf there is no record of wolf ever having hurt anyone up here. Bear sometimes will charge a hunter that unwittingly comes to close. Lynx and wolverine...never happened. But people get attacked by moose very year :-)
    Unless you have very good tree climbing skills, and are prepared to stay up there for a day or two, do not find yourself between the moose cow and her calf!
    If you see a moose, just stand still. Do not walk towards it. It will spot you and if you are looky it will stand there and look at you before it walks away. If it starts to stamp it's feet and snort, you walk away...but keep an eye on it while doing so. Because that will be half a ton of meat and muscle chrarging you.

It's not the horn you will have to worry about. It will kick you. And one kick in the head will snap you neck!
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 25-12-2014 at 09:21 AM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    But I doubt you will meet either of the two in summer.
    Pefect ! At least not for being stolen ...
    However, I hope to observe other great animals, symbols of Lapland.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Unless you have very good tree climbing skills, and are prepared to stay up there for a day or two
    lol, I didn't imagine that ! But yes, we are good at this skills ^^

Thanks for the advice, I thought moose were totally pacific
    English isn't my mother tongue so pliz correct me if i'm wrong, thx !