Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone here use a military Bergen?

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Yep, I do. My main load carrying Bergan is PLCE. Individual opinions on Bergans are bit like those concerning Marmite.. I've tried a few civvy packs but wasn't that impressed, anyway mine was free.........

Recently got this original civvy 'Bergan,' I really like the frame carry and it's very lightweight, this will probably be my favourite light load carrier in furture.

You'll have to let us know how you get on with that pack. I've tried a couple old external frame packs, and all of them seem to dig into my back, or kidneys somewhere lol
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

I've recently purchased a 3/4 PLCE Web-tex Bergen style rucksack...about 90/100 litres....and so I'm interested into knowing what is the dimension that tells me the removable aluminium frame is Long or Short back...?

Looking at the picture of them, I'd guess at short back. Not sure if the Web-tex pack will accept a PLCE frame. It depends how closely they copied the pattern I guess.
    It's worth contacting the seller, and asking for the measurements of the frame, then you'll know if it fits your pack

http://www.denbigharmysurplus.co.uk/...rong.html#a249

Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

I assume the length of the vertical rods say whether it's long or short back....so, if you've got a long back and are not extremely tall you can cut it down with a hacksaw, perhaps ?

Samuel Hearne
    I used to use the short back PLCE when I was wearing webbing but found it rather uncomfortable without the webbing, I was lucky that I had both the short back and the long back and when I left I kept my long back Bergan as it was the old green one which was replaced by DPM, it is a good Bergan and has had a lot of use over the years the only thing that went wrong was when the waterproofing started to come away but I use a dry bag as a liner anyway.

Samuel Hearne
    The length of the rods are made to fit the length of the Bergan and if you take a hacksaw and cut it down you will still have a long back Bergan.

Isn't the whole point of the frame that it distributes weight in a manner to make it more comfortable to carry...? I've found that pulling the shoulder straps on a rucksack, reasonably, tight makes you stand up straight and feel more comfortable...with a pack that moves with your centre of gravity because it's pulled close to your body...

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    The British Army Bergan was made exclusively of concrete and razor blades. As far as I'm aware the modern version's the same but the razor blades now have those little aloe vera strips that lubricate as they cut. The Vulcan has an excellent reputation, alternatively I can recommend the Tasmanian Tiger Range Pack - I've used this extensively for the last couple of years, 20 kilos feels like a feather and you can carry it all day - great pack, amazingly comfortable, 120 litre capacity (30 in detachable side pods that zip to make an EE pack), very tough construction. My only issue is that it could live with more MOLLE. Amazon sell them at around half the list price..... The same company make smaller packs that I can't vouch for....... Hope this helps......
    You're absolutely right. I have no idea who has designed the new British standard Bergen, but there is NO frame, NO chest strap, NO padded waist belt, and schoolbag-style shoulder straps. This seems strange as the rest of the pack is superbly well stitched, and made of great waterproof MTP and strong utility straps, with good construction. Not sure what option the British army will have for marching apart from shop bought ones

If anyone has questions about it, I have on loan from cadets for about a month