Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: small electrical fence bear

small electrical fence bear

Hi,

Was watching Ed Wardle's video months ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPbz5TDy6fs

He's using an electrical fence against bears at 8:20

However his battery seems huge and heavy. I ask my father if it was possible to reduce it in order to use an simple 9v battery.

And yes it is.
    Schematics diagrams he made are following :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	générateur haute tension.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	12659

Name:	générateur haute tension 2.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	12660

For those who prefer realistic pictures :

Name:	générateur haute tension 3.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	12661

I have to measure and calculate how long a 9v battery live with this system, maybe not more than one week

Only few cable remain to complete the barrier around the camp area.

What do you think of this ??
    English isn't my mother tongue so pliz correct me if i'm wrong, thx !

Not sure what to say...black bears over here will generally leave you alone, that is, if you tie up your food a hundred yards away and leave nothing that would interest them around camp (leftovers, garbage, etc.) . Black bears rarely attack people, but Stars have mercy if you stroll to close to a momma bear and her cubs. Feeding Yogie is also not advised.
    I know some folks here like to go out armed at all times, but as long as you use common sense, you should not have anything to worry about.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Samuel Hearne
    That might be of use to game keepers who move their pheasants to a temp pens before releasing them.

Yeah just keep a clean camp not much to worry about. Grizzly country on the other hand rifle and handgun for me if I was to venture out there lol
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and

The only bears I have any expericne with are polar bears, and they would walk right trough that and proceed with their snack...which is you.
    People set up stuff like tripwires connected to flares etc around their tents...talking Svalbard isands now. The bear just goes right trough, grabs a someone from the tent and runs off with him. His mate was a cracking shot though and managed to kill the bear. Another kid was not so lucky.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...ear-old-184305

http://www.newsinenglish.no/2010/07/...addler-attack/
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    black bears over here will generally leave you alone, that is, if you tie up your food a hundred yards away and leave nothing that would interest them around camp (leftovers, garbage, etc.)
    I know some folks here like to go out armed at all times, but as long as you use common sense, you should not have anything to worry about.

Yeah I know that, i'm precisely preparing a hiking trip in Sweden, in a National park having bears.
    But if someone need an electrical fence, it's possible to carry a smallest battery.
    Moreover, i'll not bring such a defence, my trip is 2 weeks long and i would like to go the lightest possible. Even if it's not really heavy ...

Just want to say to Ed Wardle, "you could do it lighter" ^^

Quote Originally Posted by jacob karhu View Post
    Yeah I know that, i'm precisely preparing a hiking trip in Sweden, in a National park having bears.
    But if someone need an electrical fence, it's possible to carry a smallest battery.
    Moreover, i'll not bring such a defence, my trip is 2 weeks long and i would like to go the lightest possible. Even if it's not really heavy ...

Just want to say to Ed Wardle, "you could do it lighter" ^^
    Then I would take Rune's advice .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

The bears in Sweden are brown bears. And the chanse that you will come across one is very, very small. But there have been some bear attacks. Mostly during the hunting season. Typically a hunter spots a bear, panics, shoot at it, hit and then the bear attack.

Mostly they will run away long before you can spot it. If you worry about nights, just rig up some tripwires that make noise, and hoist your food up in a tree at least 100 meters from camp.
    Last time I visited bear country I heard a bear in the area had attacked some sheep...ditched the tent and slept in the car, lol

ANyway, her eis some swedish bear info :-)

https://sweden.se/nature/how-to-surv...wedish-nature/
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    Then I would take Rune's advice .
    Scuze-me, but what does "rune's advice" mean ?

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    And the chanse that you will come across one is very, very small.
    I know that, for example, this summer i made a canoe trip in Canada with bears and had no problems with them, just by hanging my food yards away, and being carefully.

So i (or my father) made this not for my future trip, for my person, it was just an optimisation of a defence i saw in this episode.
    If anyone want more security at his camp -for i don't know which reason- this solution exist.