Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadly diet

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar

Deadly diet

Just returned from 4 nights in the wood, and to explain the strange title...

I keep a cache in the wood, some food and tools in a sunken plastic drum..There have been occasions when I have trekked in with a certain number of days rations and become so...what's the descriptive word? Enchanted? contented?..anyway I've decided to stay longer but run out of rations..The cache has solved that problem, now if one week needs to become two, then the cache is there. I change the contents on a regular basis.

Although there is a well in the wood, in the past I've also left some clean filtered water with the cache, so I can get a brew on before I visit the well and draw water for my stay. On Saturday evening I found that someone had been drinking my water!!

I'd left the plastic container on it's edge, unfortunately an overhanging branch allowed Mr Mouse to get at the top corner. What he didn't do was stop gnawing before it was too late...On checking inside I found him, long dead from his endless swimming around unable to climb back out..

Life amongst the Ferns..

There's no need for me to use a camo net, it's just my preference as I think that leaving no trace doesn't just apply when a site is vacated, I feel that the tent is less intrusive of life in the wood if I can partly disguise the hard shape and shine of the fabric. I'm pretty sure it works too as the wildlife seem less wary close to the camp..providing I keep still and the wind is favourable.

First job..replace Mickeys bathing water...The dipper is courtesy of Asda Supermarket, a stainless coffee container...

Second job...brew time..

Camped by the stream as I like the water music at night..

The wood is almost silent, most noise came from a Robin who I'm sure, felt I was on his territory, but I bribed him with some Naan bread, so he shut up and calmed down..

Things seen on a wander..A partly fallen Holly that lays horizontal and now puts up vertical shoots towards the sky..

Tiny fungi on a fallen Ash..

The track of the Great Storm of 1987..

An old Hornbeam in his green overcoat by the stream..

Soon this will be a carpet of Bluebells..

Leaf still on a Hazel..

Together for ever..

Heat gently..eh? I never was much of a cook...

A last clear, chilly night and then light rain as I trekked out this afternoon. Now back in the world..

Sax.

Great looking adventure, Sax...the woodland has many stories to tell, superb.....

Nice write up and pictures, thanks for sharing.

Really like that last pic of the evening sky . When it comes to outdoor cooking, the simpler the meal is to prepare, the better. I have no use for fancy French or Italian words, a million different herbs and spices, sautéing with red wine, or any of that gourmet junk...that stuff belongs in a fancy restaurant, not in the bush. Keep it straightforward and things will be easier to prepare and taste better IMO.
    Ah, the resilient Ironwood (our term for 'Hornbeam'...some folks call it 'Musclewood'), tough as wrought nails even in old age .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

" Ah, the resilient Ironwood (our term for 'Hornbeam'...some folks call it 'Musclewood'), tough as wrought nails even in old age . "

Musclewood ha! That I can understand. The old woodsmen around here say it will break four things, your saw, your axe, your heart and eventually your back...

Quote Originally Posted by saxonaxe View Post
    " Ah, the resilient Ironwood (our term for 'Hornbeam'...some folks call it 'Musclewood'), tough as wrought nails even in old age . "

Musclewood ha! That I can understand. The old woodsmen around here say it will break four things, your saw, your axe, your heart and eventually your back...
    I turned a bowl from that once. I'll testify to it doing damage - never had to sharpen my tools as often except when turning ancient Oak.

You're lucky to have a lovely place like that to retreat to when the world closes in on you.

Looks like you had a great long weekend John.
    I've built plenty of traps to drowned rats n mice!!But have never had the victim D.I.Y.lol.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

I enjoyed this post, thanks
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

looks fab mate, very jealous looks a great spot to be in the outdoors! Shep

As it was such a beautiful day today I thought I would take the opportunity to restock my food cache. It makes the trek in with tent and other gear easier (lighter) next time. Couldn't resist taking the camera anyway..

The larder is now full, so in the next week or so when the rest of the world are beginning to trample each other in the shops, and working themselves into a frenzy over 'Christmas' I can retreat to the silence of the wood... for Yule...