Thread: Return to the wood.

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar

Return to the wood.

After some time spent up on the open Downland recently, I looked forward to a day in the wood. Just a day, as it is Samhain and tonight I'm off to a feed and a gathering of friends.
    The time of the Winter King is here and today it was 21 Celcius which is what..70 Fahranheit? Crazy, but a beautiful day, the woods are full of sunlight.

I just took this photo trying to show how much leaf canopy still exists, and it's still quite green too..

Recent rains have topped my well up again and I can look down through the Ferns and see the blue sky!

The road out to the wood takes me past a place that has always intrigued me, but stop reading if you are bored by Military History.............

14th May 1264 and the Baronial army of Simon de Montfort defeated a much larger Royal army under King Henry111. The battle was fought on the Downland around the town of Lewes and later spilled into the town which, in places was torched.

An early cavalry charge by the King's son Edward chased some of De Montforts men away but that was the only royal success, De Montfort's army of professional warriors routed the Royal followers, capturing the King and Prince Edward while a large number of poorly armed and trained Royal supporters ran away Northward.
    De Montfort's intention was to go North to London after the battle and he didn't want to encounter the armed rabble again on the way, and so he ordered his mounted men at arms to chase the fleeing part timers...
    They did so, and in desperation the retreating horde went to the only defensible high ground close to them, a low 'Down' in open countryside.

That evening after the Men at Arms had left the field, the terrified locals emerged from hiding to find an awful sight. Local legend has it that the small stream at the foot of the Down ran red, there were no prisoners and no survivors. The local place name changed too, and so it remains today 750 years later...

Samhain good wishes...Sax..

Alone in the Wilderness
    It's always nice to visit the woods every now and then.

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    The photo host warned me my album was nearly full so I cleared the photos. Here's three of relevance.

The well

And the location of the battle..

Alone in the Wilderness
    I'm so jealous of everyone who got to go camping this year. My year's been pretty boring, but I have to stay indoors for couple more months due to my injury

Quote Originally Posted by DawnEagle View Post
    I'm so jealous of everyone who got to go camping this year. My year's been pretty boring, but I have to stay indoors for couple more months due to my injury
    Hi Dawn Eagle,sorry to hear you are "Grounded"etc.
    Pop to the Introduce yourself,click on Forum n scroll down its next down from General chit chat..Then everyone can welcome you aboard. n get to now your location n interests.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown