Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kit Review: Olicamp Kettle and Emberlit Stove

Kit Review: Olicamp Kettle and Emberlit Stove

My thoughts on two great bits of cook kit...I know some of you have been long awaiting this . I should mention that Olicamp gear is getting harder and harder to find, unfortunately, and there is no company website available to my knowledge.
    http://newenglandbushcraft.wordpress...merblit-stove/
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

You mention health risks with aluminium, what would they be?
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Tiny fragments of aluminum can break down and get mixed in with food, apparently. "All Vegetables cooked in Aluminum produce hydroxide poison which neutralizes digestive juices, producing stomach and gastrointestinal trouble, such as stomach ulcers and colitis." Dr. A. McGuigan's report to the Federal Trade Comm. In Docet Case No. 540 Washington. The direct evidence of health risks associated with aluminum are mixed, but I skip it to be on the safe side.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin

šLooks like a good set. The only thing really lacking in my cook sets is a stainless steel pot.
    But I cook most of my hot meals in the frying pan anyway.

Also trying to get away from gluten and lactose. It seems to calm my guts down. Just can't get used to the taste of lactose reduced milk. But with some chockolate powder in it, I can get it down, lol
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    šLooks like a good set. The only thing really lacking in my cook sets is a stainless steel pot.
    But I cook most of my hot meals in the frying pan anyway.
    If you need one you could do worse than one of these.. been using it for a couple of year now excellent quality...

http://www.tatonka.com/Products/Cook...Kettle-16/4002

cheers
    Gareth

Also trying to get away from gluten and lactose. It seems to calm my guts down. Just can't get used to the taste of lactose reduced milk. But with some chockolate powder in it, I can get it down, lol
    Have you tried raw milk? That worked wonders for me.

~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    Tiny fragments of aluminum can break down and get mixed in with food, apparently. "All Vegetables cooked in Aluminum produce hydroxide poison which neutralizes digestive juices, producing stomach and gastrointestinal trouble, such as stomach ulcers and colitis." Dr. A. McGuigan's report to the Federal Trade Comm. In Docet Case No. 540 Washington. The direct evidence of health risks associated with aluminum are mixed, but I skip it to be on the safe side.
    There is no credible research on problems associated with cooking in aluminium (remember millions of people do everyday) Thankfully the nonsense about aluminium and dementia have now long gone

" DR. H.A.MCGUIGAN FOR THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION IN DOCKET CASE NO. 540" pops up all over the internet if you search for 'is aluminium safe'...goes to show how much harm an article can do.

Your spot on about burning food in Titanium ware, its pretty much the worst thing in terms of heat spread you can make a pot out of; stainless steel is better but aluminium is better still for heat distribution and IIRC better than cast iron. I use a mix of pans for camping, aluminium sets, stainless steel sets, steel paella pans for frying as they season well and are lighter than cast iron; to be honest the only cast iron I use now is the Le Creuset set mom gave us as a wedding present 36 years ago.

Back on topic, the stove in question, how easy is it to assemble ? I had a Honey stove for review purposes and found it very awkward to put together in warm weather and a bugger in colder camps with chilly (not frozen) fingers.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Hah, completely forgot the MSR stainless steel pot I bought this spring. Been using it a couple of times this summer. But not since July :-)
    So my strainless steel pot needs are well covered. I mostly use my frying pan.

But the MSR one has proved a tad to small for family sized cooking, so may need a large sized one...or perhaps a dutch oven type thing. Most family outings happen with a car...
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    There is no credible research on problems associated with cooking in aluminium (remember millions of people do everyday) Thankfully the nonsense about aluminium and dementia have now long gone

" DR. H.A.MCGUIGAN FOR THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION IN DOCKET CASE NO. 540" pops up all over the internet if you search for 'is aluminium safe'...goes to show how much harm an article can do.

Your spot on about burning food in Titanium ware, its pretty much the worst thing in terms of heat spread you can make a pot out of; stainless steel is better but aluminium is better still for heat distribution and IIRC better than cast iron. I use a mix of pans for camping, aluminium sets, stainless steel sets, steel paella pans for frying as they season well and are lighter than cast iron; to be honest the only cast iron I use now is the Le Creuset set mom gave us as a wedding present 36 years ago.

Back on topic, the stove in question, how easy is it to assemble ? I had a Honey stove for review purposes and found it very awkward to put together in warm weather and a bugger in colder camps with chilly (not frozen) fingers.

Mostly agree. My personal beef with aluminium cook pots is that they are a nightmare to clean. And often I use sand or moss (with some debris in it) to scour them clean, so I scrape them up inside, making the problem worse. Steel has the same sticky problem, but is not so prone to scraping.

My solo coook kit is an anodized aluminium set. That is wonderfull to cook in, and cleans easily. Managed to be carefull with it, so I may switch to that for all the other cook set sizes. My frying pan is also alu with a non stick coating...a little suspicious of that. But so far it's held up nicely. Only used wooden utensils with it. But once the non stick stuf is starting to show signs of wear, out it goes. But will probably replace it with the same model. It's that good :-)
    (Roald Amundsen)

Also trying to get away from gluten and lactose. It seems to calm my guts down. Just can't get used to the taste of lactose reduced milk.
    Have you tried Goat's milk?
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/