Thread: Making Cordage with a Braiding Disk

Making Cordage with a Braiding Disk

This method of cordage making takes up very little room. It is a goood way to use gutted paracord strands to make especially strong small rope. you can vary the color and size of the threads used, use your imagination. If you can count to three you will have no problem with the braiding disk.
    Take a square of cardboard and cut off the corners to make an octagon. I used the top of a pizza take out box and made a 4" square (size of square is not critical). Cut a 3/4" (again not ctitical) slit on center of each side of the octagon. Cut a hole in center of square. Take 7 strands of cord and tie overhand knot in one end.

Push overhand knot in center of hole and put one strand each in seven slits leaving the empty slit in the East (3 o'clock) position. Clip a light weight (bulldog clip) to the knot.

I find it easier to move the disk in a counter-clockwise direction but you can move the disk clockwiase as long as you are consistant. Count over 3 positions clockwise and take the cord there (red cord, south-west position) and move it up to the empty slot. Shift the disk counter-clockwise so the empty slot is in the East (3 o'clock) position.

That is all there to it. Count over threeclockwise, move the cord there to the empty slot, and turn the disk so the empty slot is at the East.

Will bring us to here. When the white cord is moved to the empty slot the cords will once again be in the be starting order.

Continue in this manner until finished. Tie end in overhand knot.

You will get an unholy mess on your hands if you don't straiaghten out the cords from time to time
    Happily tangled in my nets at
    http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

Thats great!With the kids having crazes on making bracelets,This could also be the "Thing "To occupy them on a cold winter day.
    Remember,spending hours as a kid with a bobbin with 4 nails in it."French knitting"think it was called?
    Thanks for the tutorial!
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    I remember using the old wooden cotton reels for doing the same too, now I feel a lot older
    Good post though

[QUOTE=Valantine;122397]I remember using the old wooden cotton reels for doing the same too, now I feel a lot older

Heres one I've just remembered! another use for the old cotton reel,Making tanks with them,,Match stalk,piece of candle,rubber band,bobbin with the edge cut to provide traction,....Wind em up n let em go!!life was a lot simpler them!
    Last edited by midas; 29-10-2014 at 01:12 PM.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

thanks for posting, I remember wooden cotton reels and a hankie to make a parachute.
    Happy days

When you use 2 colors you can see the spiral pattern appear

I thought I recognised that. It's a Kumihimo disk (Japanese Kumi = gathered Himo = threads) The braids made were used by the Samurai for ceremonial and functional wear often as sashes for Kimonos, my wife makes Kumihimo necklaces and bracelets. She did say though that the made cord has a fair amount of stretch. If you use a square err disk?? you can make a flat cord. Beware Kumihimo can be addictive as well as relaxing. Very nice job. I tried Kumihimo and got all twisted up, the resulting cord looked like [Censored].

Okay it seems I made a boo boo. for the purists out there (aka wifey) It's NOT called a "disk" it's called a "plate"....So I screwed up, so shoot me!!
    Last edited by TarHeelBrit; 30-10-2014 at 04:42 AM.

Here is one project with the braiding disk. I started with almost 4' of threads to make a 1 foot usable length of cordage. In the middle of the 4' of the yarns I braided for about 2".

I folded the braid in half to form the loop and re-strung the braiding disk with doubled threads.

I braided until the ends got too short and ended up with a 1' long section of braid from end of loop to end of braid.

If the doubled cord is too thick you can thin it out. After the first few rounds you can start cutting one of the strands in each slot. Do this gradually maybe one cut every other round and the braid will thin out. The ends will be hidden in the braid.

You can make a very useful soft shackle with this braid. Tie a knot in the end and put the knot through the loop end. A very handy way to hang items from a belt or anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelBrit View Post
    I thought I recognised that. It's a Kumihimo disk (Japanese Kumi = gathered Himo = threads) The braids made were used by the Samurai for ceremonial and functional wear often as sashes for Kimonos, my wife makes Kumihimo necklaces and bracelets. She did say though that the made cord has a fair amount of stretch. If you use a square err disk?? you can make a flat cord. Beware Kumihimo can be addictive as well as relaxing. Very nice job. I tried Kumihimo and got all twisted up, the resulting cord looked like [Censored].

Okay it seems I made a boo boo. for the purists out there (aka wifey) It's NOT called a "disk" it's called a "plate"....So I screwed up, so shoot me!!
    It might well be related but it is a simpler braid than the traditional kumihimo. Only one thread is moved before turning the disk. I still call it a disk!!!

Not seen this method before...thanks for sharing .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin