Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walking Through History..BRONTE COUNTRY

Hi John.yes the Accuracy International,isa very accurate piece of kit,and now more readly avialable to civilians.The L115A3 alot better, more modern rifle.I've got the US M40A1,Based on the Remington 700 PPS.Went for a Leopold scope though.
    If one can shoot at Dear Hill or Diggle !you can cope with anything.
    West Yorkshire Police Had one of the first Firearms tactical training in the country.Thanks to a Superintendant Colin Greenwood.Can remember us helping to finance his unofficial Book in 1969.TACTICS in the police use of firearms.
    Only the Met came anywere close.
    Sapper don't know if you ever got to the site of the US B52 Bomber that crashed in 1945 in Dear hill safety zone.(.All the kids hadCartridges/ bullets n souvineers.as one said to me we couldnt carry the machine guns.)Police called at school next day n recovered most stuff)
    It wasn't carring any bombs n I think they were running their engines in n decided to fligh north to "look" at Manchester .which they'd heard so much about,Think on their second pass getting lower.the moor caught them out.
    some were I have the details n map ref but just cannot put my hand on it.

Ps.That area,and the caves,were the site of "The Secret Army"for the area.
    and as one old pal,(passed now)told me there are still lots of things buried up n around there.
    Last edited by midas; 26-10-2014 at 02:58 PM.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

There are 250 aircraft wrecks in the Peak District...been to a few navigation training for the MRT the one of which you speak is on the edge of the safety area towards Shooters Nab and is of a B17
    Last edited by Silverback; 26-10-2014 at 03:03 PM.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    There are 250 aircraft wrecks in the Peak District...been to a few navigation training for the MRT the one of which you speak is on the edge of the safety area towards Shooters Nab and is of a B17
    Thanks wayne,Been a long time since I was poking about it n couldnt find map with date n notes on.B52 was first thing that came into my head.
    Do remember,once seeing a book with lots of aircraft wrecks in locations n history etc.made very interesting reading.

Aye Peak District Aircraft Wrecks...sadly the author passed away a few years ago. Theres 3 wrecks just beyond at Black Hill, A F86 Sabre, A swordfish, and 2 Meteors and a few more besides on that same flightpath....We even had a body up there believed to have come from a passenger aircraft
    [

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Talking of aircraft, even after 30+ years I can remember being high up somewhere one day, 3 of us doing a route recce for a course. We were sitting having a brew and the local man said that the reservoir far away to the South was where they made the Dambusters film, or did the training, I'm not sure now. Almost like magic 2 Warthog A10 'Tank busters' went hacking down the valley below us..I think it's the only time I've ever looked down and not up and seen an aircraft.....

Been sat at Wrigleys cabin on the edges of ack Hill and watched an AC130 gunship fly under us ...The dams are the Howden and Derwent dams and were indeed used by 617 for their practice - saw the only 2 remaining airworthy Lancs fly over the same dams last month
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    ...We even had a body up there believed to have come from a passenger aircraft
    Not trivalizing it!But those aircraft toilets have quite a visious suction.!
    Might possible,have been a stowaway in the landing gear????

That's what the general consensus was although the cause of death was given as 'hypothermia' go figure
    [

A Tornado puts wind up walker.
    We were talking about this n on page 11 of todays Daily Mirror is a super shot of the tornado n you can see the whites of the navigators eyes!9read the transfers on back of cockpit too)
    Quote A RAF Tornado roars by,giving a mountain walker an eye level cockpit view.Craig Sulman was on Cadiar Idris,in Gwynedd.when the jet screamed passed and he took a photo just as the navigator glanced at him..Craig of Doncaster.SY.said the jet was just 550feet away.!

Often think its a shame that most people only remember "The Lancaster",.when there was another just as famous "The HALIFAX"