Thread: latest adventure in steel

latest adventure in steel

I've used wrought iron and shear steel in some of my knives for years, but have only helped out with smelts and am yet to commit myself to running one (huge investment in time and materials with the risk of it going totally Pete Tong! :O ). So today instead of tidying the workshop in preparation for a course, I built an Aristotle furnace. For those that don't know what it it is, an Aristotle furnace is a tiny furnace for remelting bloomery or scrap iron. The resulting material is similar to bloomery iron (or steel) but cleaner, similar to the Japanese Orishamagani (or however it is spelled!). It is also very quick and cheap to run! Skip Williams and Lee Sauder (A couple of clever American blacksmiths) came up with the concept years back and I have been meaning to have a go for years

So here is my first attempt!

The furnace was built around a large Coke bottle and made from the clay that my workshop is sat in. Normally the clay would be tempered with dung, but I wondered how well it would stand up without it (I've used it this way for forges for years afterall). On the most part, not too badly but I will add some organic matter next time. I found a small blower in a corner that I bought years ago because it would 'come in handy one day'. Once it was good and hot, I started feeding in some crappy mild steel barstock from my rusty pile in the corner.

As one bar sank below the coals, another was fed in. I stopped when all 699g of rusty iron was gone. I was a little impatient and probably started feeding a little early, so it took about 45 minutes for all of the metal to be consumed by the fire. I let the charcoal burn down a bit and then tried to remove the mini bloom from the bottom. Unfortunately it was stuck fast and I cracked the furnace in trying to get it out. So I hit it with a hammer and did a Blacksmiths' Caesarian on it!

Knocked the furnace walls from the bloom. It seemed pretty solid at this point and ice and heavy, so I could be certain that I had metal!

While it was hot and instead of going home to walk the dog (sorry Saxen!), I lit the coke forge and hit it some more. What can I say, I'm a kid that wants to stay out playing a bit longer!

and because its a cool picture:

At this point I have just worked it on all sides to consolidate it a bit and weld any loose bits together. It welded absolutely fine and with virtually no cracking apart, so I'm a happy bunny thus far. It feels fairly stiff, lets see what the sparks say

Yeah baby! 8)

Then I really did have to go home I'm now tied up teaching and demonstrating until next thursday! So I don't get to see how it forges and what it will become until the end of next week!

Oh incidentally, after consolidation into this bar; the 699g of mild has become 415g of higher carbon steel I'll be doing this again!
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

Very interesting Dave,great photos n result.
    Look forward to see you work it..
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

I want to play...

Whaow, respect man

What sort of metal did you put on the furnace ? Special iron, rubbish from last works, or mineral ?

Any idea of the temperature reached ?

Really inspiriting job, i would like to do the same one day. But for not being a blacksmith, it'll just to observe and understand the process

Extremely Interesting Post....Love to Know what Heat and Quench Gives....Fun with a Knife I Imagine....?

This one was charged with mild steel. I wanted to keep the number of variables down, so used stock of known quality and of the same dimension (thinner stuff melting faster than larger stuff of course). It can also be used to remelt scrap of course, but would be best to forge the scrap to similar dimensions. It also woks with bloomery material (so bits of iron that were not so good from a full sized smelt). Most of the time the chemistry of the metal fed in will be lost to the fire and not end up in the steel/ion made, but I'm not going to try weird high alloys just incaase Apparently they do work with iron ore, but the yield is tiny so not worth the effort.

I would guess the temperature was not much over 1300C, perhaps as much as 1400?

There are other ways of skinning the steel making cat and I am planning to play with several this winter if I can. I also have a load of iron ore that I should get to smelting at some point too
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

Reminds me of a film "The Iron Mistress"..The blacksmith chucked everything into the pot,To make James Bowies,Knife.
    Your only short of the piece of "a meteor"he put in to make the knife invincible!
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown