Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little history of Bannock (with a few recipes)

A little history of Bannock (with a few recipes)

Been doing a little research this evening looking for some recipes and foods for campfire cooking. It looks like I am now gluten intolerant and needed to find some alternatives to the old favourite campsite staples, and in the process came across this

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/rsi/fnb/fnb.htm

Makes for some interesting reading with a few recipes to try.

Welcome to the club Justin. Ive been off the gluten for the last 4 year now. It does make camping food harder but still possible Ive found some interesting 1 bag meals in the supermarkets.

It has been an interesting time trying to find what I can eat in the supermarkets. Our local Tesco is not very good so have to visit larger stores on my travels to stock up. I have come across a few ready meals that I have yet to try but am a little dubious about using them for hiking food due to the fact that they are wet and heavy. Came across this one though that seem to stock a good range of dehydrated meals

http://www.expeditionfoods.com/exped...uten-free.html

I have tried those expedition foods all I will say avoid the fish. The rest are ok but very expensive. Thats one thing I have found trying to eat gluten free can be very expensive. I will grab you a couple of the dehydrated meals from my local tesco to try.

Your not wrong about the expense part!

Haven't seen any dried meals in Tescos round these parts so looking forward to that, thanks Scott.

No problem mate.

Tribesman
    I can recommend this company for gluten free flour and other products.
    http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/gluten-fr...free-products/
    Although if you are diagnosed with Coeliac disease you can get many products on prescription, which helps with the cost.
    Another excellent site for all things gluten related.
    https://www.coeliac.org.uk/
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

I've been gluten free for many months...it can be expensive, but if you make things from scratch, it shouldn't be an issue. Thankfully, more and more awareness is being made about being gluten-free - at least in the States, that is. I was never diagnosed with IBS or Celiac disease, but my family has a long history of gastrointestinal problems. I've noticed that since I've made the change, I do not get the horrid pains and once-a-month bowel havoc that I used to have.
    My go-to staple for anything bread-like is Buckwheat flour. It has more nutrition per gram than unprocessed wheat flour, and despite its name, contains no gluten whatsoever- it has similar protein which makes it "stay together", and does not need to be mixed with other flours or starches. Buckwheat is quite popular in Korean and Japanese cuisine for making noodles.
    Here's my bannock recipe:
    1/4 cup Buckwheat flour
    a few tablespoons of hemp seed, ground flax seed, corn meal, or hazelnut meal (gives a wonderful nutty texture)
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon Himalayan rock salt

Mix in enough water to form a thick paste (you don't want pancake batter), shape into a ball in your hands, and then press flat on a lightly oiled pan. As always, cook over embers/coals.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Buckwheat is something I came across recently and have started looking to see if I can get it locally. Wasn't sure how to use it so that recipe will come in very handy, thanks.

I have seen Doves in the shops which use a mix of rice, tapioca and potato starches but really don't get on with it. The foods either crumble apart or burn really easily so this requires some practice. I like simplicity rather than problematic mixes of stuff that just don't quite seem the same. This is a problem with being 'conditioned' to a certain way of life I suppose and need to alter my way of thinking somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Buckwheat is something I came across recently and have started looking to see if I can get it locally. Wasn't sure how to use it so that recipe will come in very handy, thanks.

I have seen Doves in the shops which use a mix of rice, tapioca and potato starches but really don't get on with it. The foods either crumble apart or burn really easily so this requires some practice. I like simplicity rather than problematic mixes of stuff that just don't quite seem the same. This is a problem with being 'conditioned' to a certain way of life I suppose and need to alter my way of thinking somewhat.
    Tapioca flour isn't too bad, but it seems hard to acquire - not too many stores have it around here, even the health shops. Not sure how tapioca would work on its own...something to experiment with. Yeah, those mixes seem to only work as pancakes, little else. I'm for the simple way, too . Pretty much anything you would use regular wheat flour for can be substituted with Buckwheat.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin