Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disaster - First time trying to make charcloth.

Hobo

Disaster - First time trying to make charcloth.

My brother and I went out for a wander to a wonderful place in the woods I found yesterday. The area was perfect for a little fire so I thought I'd take along some old denim and try to turn it into charcloth.

Punched a tiny hole in the lid of an old tin and stuffed the tin with the denim and placed it on the side of the fire...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140831_181819.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	12498

Couldn't remember how long to keep it on the fire for so we decided that it must surely be ready once the vapour stops coming out of the hole .

After about 15-20 minutes there was a pop; the lid flew off of the tin and the contents caught fire...

Name:	20140831_182509.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	12499

Wooops!

After it cooled down I tipped it out to see if anything was worth keeping...
    (The pile on the left is the amount of charred denim that crumbled into dust as soon as I picked it up, the measly right pile is the stuff I think I can use!)

Name:	20140831_185013.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	12500

Ah well, we live and learn! We had a good laugh about it on the way home
    Last edited by Ian Munch; 01-09-2014 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Two left hands apparently

Ah well, we live and learn!
    And thats what makes us better bushcrafters, the man who never made a mistake.. never made anything. Good luck next time, Ken ps if it popped off the hole was too small or you had too much heat
    Last edited by Rasputin; 31-08-2014 at 09:20 PM.
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

It may have been the can deforming with the heat, and as soon as oxygen rushes in it ignites into a fire ball
    Other than that, the only suggestion would be maybe try less denim/cotton inside. It doesn't want to be too tight, but doesn't look like you had too much in anyway.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    Looks like you actually succeeded making char cloth, shame the lid popped off. You were right to wait till it stops fuming, try a slightly larger hole.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    It's happened to me before.. what has actually happened is some of the fumes condense into a 'tar' inside the container, this tar has blocked the hole causing an increase in internal pressure which then blows the lid off, it's easily done , just bad luck, do it again and you'll get it right.

Hobo
    Hey guys, thanks for your suggestions! There was definitely 'tar' spitting out of the top later in the burn and I assume the tar was spitting because it was too hot? The size of the hole had caused no problems till then so maybe it's a combination of everything you guys say?

For learning's sake, I might experiment with keeping the hole the same size but resting the tin on a cooler part of the fire or does the tar push it's way out of the hole regardless?

Hobo
    Oh and yes Valantine! We did make some charcloth, it seems exactly like I was expecting it to be, if a little more crisp lol. I'm going to cut up the denim into neat squares next time as well so it fits in my tinder box more efficiently.

I always block hole when smoke has finished coming out n remove tin from heat source.That cuts off its oxigen supply n stops it burning to ash!!!!
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Some people say, "Practice makes perfect," but I've been taught that "perfect practice makes perfect."

You learn from the times that everything doesn't go exactly to plan, and do it better next time...then you learn from that time as well.

I'd be willing to bet that if you made your vent hole a bit larger, the can wouldn't be allowed to build up as much pressure and pop the top. It's going to take a bit of experimenting. I've only made char cloth in an old mint tin myself. I figured the joint around the edge and the little hinges at the back were porous enough so I didn't drill any holes. Just waited til everything stopped venting and gave it another minute or two then popped it off to cool. Worked very well.

Good luck!

Josh
    "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time..." ~Steven Wright~

Ive successfully used heavy tin foil dishes,folded n cloth sealed inside by crimping edges with pliers.make small hole.place on fire or stove,when smoke has finished coming out /burning,lift off,nipping up hole,with pliers.leave to cool.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown