Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Successfully patented my paracord survival bracelet invention!

Great comments and good question mr. Punch. This link is to the application where you can see the protected claims. http://www.google.com/patents/US20130213089

Quote Originally Posted by Paracordist View Post
    Great comments and good question mr. Punch. This link is to the application where you can see the protected claims. http://www.google.com/patents/US20130213089
    Still dont really understand exactly what you do different/invented? Surely all these aspects have already existed in many survival bracelets already?

Looks great and will probably buy one from you.

I'm just curious about this patent, bit confused.
    Last edited by ADz; 10-09-2014 at 02:07 PM.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Essentially these aspects did not exist in a survival bracelet. That's why when I first posted about it in 2011 I wrote that I was putting the "survival" in the survival bracelet. I never found evidence and neither has anyone else of a design offering similar utility. I did the firesteel bracelet toggle first also. Now they are a standard item. Wrapping a bunch of tools inside cord and tying it to ones body is not the same. Thanks for the questions!

Cool, so I am ok wrapping a bunch of tools inside cord and calling it a bush craft bracelet and tying it to my body as it is not the same as yours, neither are the toggles as they have two holes in them, of course they have a different weave too?

Oh and wow there is a lot of reading in the document it seems you have everything covered including just the bracelet weave type.

Isn't the full concept of a patent exactly the opposite of bushcraft, and exactly what has found us in the social/economical situation that were in?

Anyway, I just had a quick skim over your patent, and as with most others it has it's money (on your part) waister faults.

You can't patent fire, you can't patent a bracelet and you can't patent any individual part of your design. This is is a common mistake. It is only worth spending the money to patent a true invention, a true individual new idea. Then the root concept can be covered. When the idea is a bunch of other ideas put together then it inevitably becomes a patent that really only protects the design, no matter how well worded the patent is.

The wording of the patent can be be twisted by lawyers to make you feel so safe, then bang!!! such a simple little change can make the whole thing slightly altered, and even cheaper to produce for established companies who thrive on the global structure that taken over from the bushcraft way of life that we would all like to return to.

Sorry.

Sorry, I also forgot to add.

A patent is only worth the amount of money you are willing to spend to protect it. Everyone, rightly so, knows that the patent process is daunting for financial reasons. But it later becomes educational that it was nothing compared to protecting it.

Share and share alike, that's the future. It's a hard future to reach as we have all been born into the today that we have now.

I'm happy to have been able to protect my idea and prevent it from being stolen on a large scale. No regrets. As for "sharing" few people can claim to have shared as much knowledge as I have with the knotting community through youtube. Free of charge. Including how to make your own bracelets. Thanks for you opinions.

I do get it, and I respect that you have an opinion, and a living to make, we all do. We all have to make our way in the life that we are in. And part of our society includes what you are doing, and what I am doing. I personally wish it was different.

I should also add again, I do think you waisted your money on the patent. As there is no invention, only use/design, It's not as protected as it might seem. And again, only worth what you can put into protecting the patent to find out.

As for being an invention or not; you have one opinion and the USPTO has another.