Thread: RIP My Favourite Sit Spot

RIP My Favourite Sit Spot

It is with a very sad and heavy heart that I must annouce the passing of my favourite sit spot.
    Well, not it's passing so much, as it's no longer my favourite sit spot.
    It has become the victim of it's own success.
    There, beside the Greensand Way was a massive and gnarly sweet chestnut tree with some logs beneath it. The view looked south, with an Elizabethan manor house behind the trees to the right, an associated park with deer and a good many kestrels and, more recently, numbers of buzzards. And that ever present call of crows and the laugh of green woodpeckers. Best of all, though, was that view south looking across the Weald.
    Once upon a time it was a secluded and separate spot that one could take rest and shelter beneath whilst out for a bike ride. There was (and still is) a pathway some 200 odd yards away, and along that one could see the rare walker.
    That was fine.
    But as the years wore on the number of walkers increased. That was OK as well, so long as they stayed to the path. Then slowly the number of people (and their dogs and the three most aggravating words, 'he's only playing') who would divert and come walking along by my sit spot increased.
    I accepted it stoically. They would wander pass, often a friendly 'good afternoon'.
    Then the number of people taking that diversion increased. It got to the point that you could guarantee several people passing.
    And then the worse happened.
    Despite the fact that I would be sitting there, enjoying the splendid isolation, some people would stop and sit on the logs as well. Invading my privacy.
    Of course, they are more than welcome to. It's not my tree or logs. But it's not a question of 'rights', it's a question of courtesy.
    And now it's getting too frequent.
    The rot has been setting in for some time. I've tried to tell myself it doesn't matter.
    But it does.
    Time to let it go.
    The only consolation I can take is that with the increase in numbers has NOT come the inevitable increase in litter.
    It has stayed clean and unspoilt.
    But just too many people.

RIP, my once and faithful sit spot. We've had some good times and I would like to thank you for the very many hours I have sat beneath you, watching the birds, having a ham roll, doing some writing, or maybe just doing sod all.
    I hope you are the same friend to the (annoyingly) great many people who now pass.
    I'll try to be strong, but I'm having a bit of bottom-lip quivering...

'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Many commiserations on the "passing" of your favourite place H ...

I know exactly how you feel myself having lost many favourite places

to progress , popularity or just the passing of time ...

One of my favourite beach spots , great fossiling (regular and irregular echinoids) ,

quiet and out of the wind , sheltered from being under the cliffs ...

got cut off by a massive cliff fall which is only passable on the very lowest of tides !!!

Nothing ever stays the same ... we just have to move on ... hey ...

Cheers Whistle
    Life's a beach .... and then the tide comes in ....

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    tissue please.
    It's a sad day when you lose a spot like that

Sad as it is, I wonder if there were others before you who felt the same. Wildlife maybe, rabbits, mice, etc. Habitat is the one thing we're all losing at an alarming and unstoppable rate.

"You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should." - Desiderata

I hope you soon find another spot that makes you feel at home and away from the business of modern life.

I've experienced the same, though with an increase in litter piles as the number of passers-by soared. It's come the point where I cannot be completely left to myself unless I hike to the other side of the woodland, which is in itself a rather steep and rocky ridge. The hedges are strong and thick so that walkers cannot intrude...much.

The opposite side (where most people go) has been the site of much natural habitat deterioration, thanks to the trail crew management intruding on untamed land every year, all for the sake of "expansion". In March they decided to open up a new trail in a previously off-limits meadow where the deer and rabbits grazed in peace, and furthermore cut the hedge that bordered it down to a narrow ring of Dog Rose bushes. They had cleared away the thicket homes of many Eastern Cottontail rabbits just to make more ground for the idiots to stomp on, and the deer can no longer be left alone because of constant human intervention.
    And they don't give a you-know-what at all, nor does the upper management. Might as well make it a land dump with all the litter accumulating from careless visitors and drunken-drugged teens...

I wish I was a millionaire - buy the land, stop the incessant developing, and kick-out the fools who trash it (including the management). *sigh*
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Lost one of my favourite spots to rural development, nothing sadder than that. Even now as the houses go up I know that special places all around are going to get ruined by the inhabitants of those 500 houses. trees over hundreds of years old have been destroyed even though they had orders on them but 'accidently' are no longer.
    Call me a sceptic but I just know the ancient pond will be filled with shopping trolleys and all manner of other rubbish, pop bottles, tins Etc.
    I will miss it greatly, already walking over there makes me sad. Progress eh! who needs it? not me.

More and more of my town's natural landscape is eroded every year as the number of inhabitants sky-rockets, and developers build vast apartment complexes where coyotes roamed among the trees I knew...
    So much for the 'Green Movement'
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin