Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storm/Kelly kettle maintenance?

I saw somewhere this week that a black coating on pots is supposed to increase conductivity and improve boil times, ah, I remember Mors Kochanski on youtube talking about ideal survival Pots,

Make of that what you will....
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

Hobo
    Late reply ;

Taken from the Kelly Kettle FAQ's
    Q. Cleaning your kettle
    A.

The inner chimney of your kettle should not need to be cleaned (I have never cleaned my own kettle which is now over 20yrs old). We find that the soot tends to dry up and flake off over time and it never really builds up to such an extent that it hinders the performance of the kettle.
    Dry hardwoods burn very clean and leave little or no residue. On the other hand however, pine cones can be quite waxy and can leave a sticky residue on the inner chimney wall of the kettle.
    If ever you felt that it needed a slight cleaning then:

we know that some wire wool and soapy warm water can be used to gently clean the chimney.....although this will require some elbow power!
    Another tip we heard was to spray it with WD40, let it soak for a while and then wipe it off!
    Another easy sounding idea is to spray on oven cleaner ...then simply wipe off later with paper towels! (Thanks for the tip Dave) CARE: Please use the appropriate Cleaner for your make of Kettle i.e. Aluminium or Stainless Steel. If you use a cleaner that is not suitable for the metal of your kettle, it may cause corrision.

Perhaps this writer is just lazy… but I like to think that the sooty chimney adds character to ones kettle!

found at the following link : http://www.kellykettle.com/faq?p=1

Hope it helps - for later

Martin

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Steradent denture cleaner tabs pop a couple of these inside with hot water, fizz & soak over night
    Regards
    David

You want to avoid scrubbing at all, if you can help it. Being aluminium, every time it's used with a clean surface, it will loose a tiny amount of it's thickness. The coke build up prevents this rapid oxidisation, as well as increasing the efficiency of the kettle/pot.
    As long as it's not blocking the flow up the chimney, and it's not sticky resin, which could burst into flames, I'd leave it as much as possible. A quick soak and very light rubbing would be more than enough.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel