Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norwegian Telmark needing some TLC

That's not an army pack. For some reason I got it in my head that it was :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Semi finished the frame today, covered all the leather in white polish (though I think it was grey when new) and polished the rivets as well as I can without taking the polish off.
    Cant wait to put her together - though it might be a while as the fight to regenerate the pack itself has yet to begin!

FishyFolk - I thought it was a Telmark, which is norwegian army right? Correct me if I am wrong but if you google fu the name thats what it comes up with What did you think it was?

Quote Originally Posted by 1jack1pike View Post
    Semi finished the frame today, covered all the leather in white polish (though I think it was grey when new) and polished the rivets as well as I can without taking the polish off.
    Cant wait to put her together - though it might be a while as the fight to regenerate the pack itself has yet to begin!

FishyFolk - I thought it was a Telmark, which is norwegian army right? Correct me if I am wrong but if you google fu the name thats what it comes up with What did you think it was?
    Telemark is a county in Norway. It is also a style of downhill skiing.

The Norwegian army packs are similar to that one. Same style. But that particular pack is not it. They are made by Bergans of Norway.

Norwegian army one:

Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Humm, thats odd!! I wonder what it is then. Its ever so well built - definatly a pre china knock off model :P
    Mine is very similar to what you shown, as you can probably see - It has some markings inside so I will have a close look and see if that unravels this mystery. Maybe its a different variant? (are there any varients?!) as the pack was around some years.

It's simply a backpack from the same era. They all looked more or less like that in those days. Does it have any brand names attached?
    (Roald Amundsen)

Thats the thing - there is nothing at all! no makers name or anything, I think it might be army surplus though - have a couple of reasons why:

There is very VERY faint stamp on the inside, but its not a brand. Looks similar to a modern NSN number (lots of numbers or letters separated by slashes). From what I could read I think its something like this: 0101/864 ?? REN - S ??? / ?? E4 82.... it could be miles off, below this is another long line of what look like numbers.

Where the shoulder strap attaches to the main frame there is a quick release toggle for getting the pack off quick. I have never seen one on a civilian pack only military - though maybe it could be something to do with skiing? getting it off quick in a emergency etc?

Who knows!!!!

Finished the frame today, I will post a picture late. Hamerite black frame and white leather. Polished the buckles as much as possible but still pretty grubby. Coming along ok.

It could well be a millitary pack, just not a Norwegian army one. Yours does not have the Bergans frame, and Bergan patented that in 1908, and the Army adopted the Bergans pack in 1913. And if you look at the picture of the Norwegian army pack it has a stamp in the form of an empty shield. Without that it's not Norwegian army.

So perhaps its Danish, Swedish or from Finland?
    (Roald Amundsen)

Here we go chaps....

Finished it to a "ok" standard. Dont feel like I am making much progress anymore so going to load it up with my bush crafty kit and head off tomorrow see how it does.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0749.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	12445
    It has two pillows inside and enough room for a third if I bothered to stuff it in. So much strapping. As well as what you see there is two long possibly bed roll straps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0750.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	12446
    Back frame is very comfy, I am 6'5 and I dont have a problem with the length of the straps. Sits quite high on the back - or mine at least but feel right there.

Looks great !

What have you done to clean/treat the canvas?

Thanks Peaks - I have only washed it as of yet. Where I got a bit of leather polish on the canvas I just scrubbed it off with some jiff. I think just some hard work and scrubbing will bring it up (maybe...), I was not planning on treating it as it is pretty much waterproof as it is.