Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need help with a bag.

What about something like this to protect the shoulders.
    Perhaps a padded tactical vest might be the answer?
    When life gets you down...Hammock!
    It's amazing how far away the world can feel when you're suspended just two foot off the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    Go with the bum bag option and dispensation for injury on the sleeping bag and tent parts. As you know. Jus blistered burns are highly susceptible to infection.....

You actually may have sufficient cause to bin the youngster off the exped dependent on the percentage of burns.
    I use a Maxpedition Sabercat ... it is a large capacity "bum bag" and can hold a lot of gear ...

It is covered with molle webbing and extra pouches and capacity can be added on ...

plus a bed roll can be strapped onto the base of the bag ...

Only problem is the weight ... it is not stable when carried just on the belt strap

and the weight would drag your trousers down in just a few hundred yards of walking ...

Even lightly loaded , for comfort and stability , I still use it with 2 X 2inch padded shoulder straps !!!

I doubt if you can find any load carrying system that does not have to spread the load

over the shoulders in some way !!!

I agree with Sapper , it may be better to postpone his DOE attempt untill he is fully fit ...

He would probably have a much better experience and take greater satisfaction too ...

Cheers Whistle
    Life's a beach .... and then the tide comes in ....

Could a Yugoslavian backpack be adapted into a waist pack? It has straps underneath for carrying sleeping bags etc. Also thinking it might be possible to add other pouches on to the belt for other items?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmDI7jTCVcI

http://militarysurplusuk.co.uk/shop/...-shoulder-bag/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yugoslavia...p2054897.l4275
    Last edited by Peaks; 26-07-2014 at 05:17 PM.

Yes I said that already....with the exception of the self inflicted injury bit of course
    [

There is no 'self inflicted' element other than he was daft enough to not be paying attention out in this sun. The thought of removing him from the assessment did cross my mind but would mean dripping the entire group through numbers being below requirements. The idea behind an alternative would be that each candidate must take their own essential and safety equipment (in case of separation and/or emergency) and then dispensation for the other kit. I am loathed to let down an entire group for the mistake of one person who really is feeling rather gutted right now.

I am loving some of those suggestions though. Gave me a giggle or three. I will look at the links shortly and see what you came up with.

Thanks folks, keep 'em coming.

I'm failing to see what difference it makes if it was self inflicted or not. This is a youngster we're talking about here, and youngsters get up to all sorts of things, which result in accidental injury. The fact is, he has injuries that are compromising his comfort, and possibly health. Jus is a competent scout leader, and will be able to asses whether the lad is fit for the event or not, but reading the original post, it seems he hasn't seen the lad yet, only been informed of it. Jus is probably looking for a solution to the problem, as a way of covering all eventualities.

My suggestion would be either the Maxpedition style packs, that have been mentioned, or possibly the blanket roll, but worn as a waist pack. This could be using a luggage strap through the roll, or maybe something elasticated. The main problem is distribution of weight around the front and back, to avoid pressure on the lower back. Maybe water and first aid/emergency kit at the front, with the waterproofs, food, stove, and any extra items at the rear.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage View Post
    I'm failing to see what difference it makes if it was self inflicted or not. This is a youngster we're talking about here, and youngsters get up to all sorts of things, which result in accidental injury. The fact is, he has injuries that are compromising his comfort, and possibly health. Jus is a competent scout leader, and will be able to asses whether the lad is fit for the event or not, but reading the original post, it seems he hasn't seen the lad yet, only been informed of it. Jus is probably looking for a solution to the problem, as a way of covering all eventualities.

My suggestion would be either the Maxpedition style packs, that have been mentioned, or possibly the blanket roll, but worn as a waist pack. This could be using a luggage strap through the roll, or maybe something elasticated. The main problem is distribution of weight around the front and back, to avoid pressure on the lower back. Maybe water and first aid/emergency kit at the front, with the waterproofs, food, stove, and any extra items at the rear.
    If it was his own silly fault !which it appears it was Then now special arrangements should be made,now if the lad had a skin condition or disability all help should be afforded him.In the army if you got sunburn it was a self inflicted injury.n you were put on a charge!!!
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Midas the lad isn't in the army though is he ? Getting sunburn is part of his learning curve and its not for you to sit in judgement on something that you don't have all the facts for.

If you can't offer anything constructive to this post then don't post
    [

How about his mums shopping trolly???,or,You can get some with quite big wheels.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    How about his mums shopping trolly???
    not such a bad idea ..... but a shopping trolley is not quite man enough for the environment .... However what about a fishing trolley, I have seen someone use one very successfully and was so impressed I bought my own .... would easily carry the kit required for a D of E expedition
    * LIFE IS GOOD *