Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need help with a bag.

Happy to report that all is well thank you. The blistering had dried up leaving angry looking skin but carrying the pack normally for two says was still pretty much out of the question. I managed to get his pack to sit quite high so that the shoulder straps didn't sit directly on his shoulders but rather cut up at an angle and avoid too much direct contact. This seems to have worked and his 28k was duly completed this afternoon.

Thanks for your comments folks, I was getting rather worried.

Glad he completed it ok Jus
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Glad it worked out Jus.
    [

Great news - bet he's chuffed too.

We had nine out in total as a few couldn't make it, not bad for first time running it. All are feeling rather pleased with themselves and quite rightly too, for some the entry into DofE just a couple of months ago was the first time they had carried anything heavier than their school bag. A DofE kit list is not a lightweight outing although it doesn't take too much thought to thin things down a bit.

Feeling rather good at the moment as the effort has paid off and we have more waiting to start
    Last edited by jus_young; 03-08-2014 at 10:47 PM.

[

Thats great well done, trust that the next bunch do well too

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I've taught the Duke of Edinburgh (Strathclyde Region & Edinburgh) or as one wee lad said he wanted to do his "Chooky Embra Award Scheme.." (Regional accent: West Lothian Edinburgh) If the pack issue isn't going to affect the outcome of the actual award, I'd suggest sharing out the kit with other members & maybe the injured party taking it in turn carrying other lighter equipment & taking on extra tasks at base camp towards the award? As part of the method of the DoE instruction you could suggest to the injured party to construct a way of carrying the kit required a kind of incentive beforehand, add such details to the individuals score sheet. Time permitting have a chat with the youngster/parent/guardian & a qualified First Aid member of the team Health & Safety see if there's anyway around this with padding the straps or the shoulder area wound itself, try such out, make adjustments tweaks, support around the waist should take the pressure off the shoulder straps. I agree with Sapper ensure all angles are covered 'persevere' before binning 'Platform 13' the poor wee soul.
    Regards
    David

David...the lad completed his expedition with minimal fuss last weekend....obviously due in part to the support of Jus and the scout group.
    [

Ta anyway David.