Thread: Knife blade sharp on one side..

Knife blade sharp on one side..

Hey guys,

I've jumped in and bought (I loaned the money from my dear mother) the Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife (with the half serrated edge). I'm happy with the weight etc. but the only thing that's puzzling is no matter how much I sharpen this side..

..it doesn't get as sharp as the side which the serrated edges are more prominent.

Is this a feature with these sort of knives?

Don't get me wrong, it is sharp but it's not as sharp on either side of the blade.

Thanks,
    Zac.

I've had the same knife for four years now and I don't sharpen the serrations to be honest. I keep the front of the blade shaving sharp but as and when it wears down enough i'll stone the serrations out. I'd you do want to sharpen them, gerber make a diamond file which is round with a groove in it to do the job, I think you can get them from go outdoors

The Problem is...it is One knife trying to be Two....I just stick to One or the Other.

Beermaker, it's not the serrations I'm talking about. The side where the serrations are more prominent is sharper on the one side than the side where they are not so prominent. Is this normal?

I think it will feel sharper one way as the grind is different in each side of the blade. The profile on the serrated side is steeper than on the other side. I'm no expert though, just speculating. One of the knife makers here will be able to give a better answer.

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    You're creating a burr on one side - you need to finish it on a strop, polishing both sides to remove the burr and balance the edge

+1

It will feel sharper on the side that the burr is folded over a bit. Strop it to death for 10 mins and it should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Valantine View Post
    You're creating a burr on one side - you need to finish it on a strop, polishing both sides to remove the burr and balance the edge

Strop? Never heard of it. Sorry for the newbie questions!

Old leather belt, rough side up, buckle hooked onto a door handle, pulled tight... knife stroked along the leather with a good bit of pressure, with the edge trailing 50 strokes per side.

like so.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnh8wqYrp0k

The side opposite the scalloped edges is supposed to be flat. Stropping this side after sharpening (using a round file diamond or ceramic) on the scalloped edges will remove the burr formed after the sharpening process. A bench strop is best to use IMO.
    I hope this helps...

DomC