Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A lovely cuppa outdoors!

You can cut down all our trees but you'll never take our freedom .
    oh well try again

I hope none of us crush any plants while we're out walking and heaven forbid we should kill any living organism by boiling our water. Hopefully we also use no leather or kill any plants. Perhaps we should should just cease to breathe.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Thanks for sharing your tranquil 'brew time' moment & images of your day out
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by steelezac View Post
    Hi guys, Today I decided to embark on a walk, a walk until I found an ideal location to knock up a fire and get a brew going!
    Last edited by David_JAFO; 19-07-2014 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steelezac View Post
    Hi guys,

Today I decided to embark on a walk,

Zac.
    Me too I've just walked the dog in the woods, it was like a swamp near enough knee deep in places I didn't light a fire didn't have a brew.

I think you had the better deal Zac.
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

Sharing is caring David and there is nothing like a brew in a place such as that!

Tim, that sounds like a pretty horrendous woodland! Amazon by any chance?

You're welcome to join me around my campfire anytime!

Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    I hope none of us crush any plants while we're out walking and heaven forbid we should kill any living organism by boiling our water. Hopefully we also use no leather or kill any plants. Perhaps we should should just cease to breathe.
    Thats a bit OTT AJ, And no, lets kill no plants, and no one is suggesting you stop breathing. Obviously Riks comments went over your head, just tell me what is so wrong about trying to preserve the environment, fire can be deadly to the woodland and people if it gets out of control. There are enough folk out there who dont care.... lets not add to it
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    , fire can be deadly to the woodland and people if it gets out of control.
    It can also regenerate it!
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Seriously tho, like Ric I really hate to see old fire pits/circles complete with empty beer/bean cans, I really don't know what goes through their tiny/ignorant minds. They seem to enjoy having a fire in the wilds then spoil it by turning the area into a tip????

Zacs fire on the other hand looks like a small controlled fire and with it the heat sterilization kept to a minimal, couple that with the ground watered then restored to its former glory.

For me personally I prefer NOT the extra work of preparing / restoring the ground before / after a fire, so I advocate and use a fire box seen here on a small pile of boulders.

The only work involved here was to build a small platform of boulders and to put the boulders back when breaking camp, the firebox being more efficient than a standard circle of rocks meant that all we had left after an evening of cooking and socializing was ash, which when cold was scattered to the four winds.
    The area was left as we found it.

Cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

Lots of countries ban fires, like Greece, many parts of the USA, Canada, Spain et al and if not banned there are very very tight controls on where you can 'have your brew'

Heres a little grass fire as seen from Swansea
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GRASS FIRES 1.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	12364

Its cost Wales over £1,000,000 this year to control grass fires. Many started deliberately, many accidentally. Not worth the hassle for just a brew or your brekkie IMHO.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    It can also regenerate it!
    Never seen dead people regenerated Mick, And yes your right, in fact there are some trees that only seed when burned but that isnt a reason to leave scorched rings carte blanche, is it ? Ken
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.