Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A lovely cuppa outdoors!

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with lighting a fire for a brew. As long as a little respect is paid to the environment then why would there be any damage or scars left? By simply lifting a little turf, laying it to one side and ensuring it is kept moist, the fire site can be restored to its former glory. Only folks with little respect or knowledge would leave such an unsightly mess, and to criticise those that make the effort is neither helpful, constructive or generally playing nice. Fair play to you for enjoying your moment and ensuring you left no trace.

Indeed. I personally would just use a stove for a cuppa as it's quicker/more convenient but if you want to use a fire and you take care of the area what's the harm?

Rik is quite exaggerating.

Quote Originally Posted by steelezac View Post
    It wasn't the one brew, I was out all day ADz, I took my brew kit with me and sat reading in the sun.

Wow, so many people jumping to conclusions without asking a single question!
    Relax bud, I wasn't criticizing you
    Last edited by ADz; 17-07-2014 at 02:39 PM.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Thanks jus_young. I believe too many people see young(ish) bushcrafters as the kids from the local street corner that set fires in a woodland and run off.

I believe in restoring a place to it's former glory for other people to enjoy as I did!

It was a wonderful day beside a beautiful lake regardless of opinions like Rik's!

Thanks jus_young. I believe too many people see young(ish) bushcrafters as the kids from the local street corner that set fires in a woodland and run off.

I believe in restoring a place to it's former glory for other people to enjoy as I did!

It was a wonderful day beside a beautiful lake regardless of opinions like Rik's!
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with lighting a fire for a brew. As long as a little respect is paid to the environment then why would there be any damage or scars left? By simply lifting a little turf, laying it to one side and ensuring it is kept moist, the fire site can be restored to its former glory. Only folks with little respect or knowledge would leave such an unsightly mess, and to criticise those that make the effort is neither helpful, constructive or generally playing nice. Fair play to you for enjoying your moment and ensuring you left no trace.
    Took the words right out of my mouth .

To add, some plants can benefit from the leftover doused ashes and coals because of the alkaline effect it has as a fertiliser. Fires can actually improve the landscape, believe it or not. Many African tribes use controlled fires to clear brush to promote thicker growth and a wider plant diversity. Certain trees such as Jack Pine require fire in order to reproduce - their cones will not open unless heated by flame. Trees in the west have also adapted in a similar fashion - the cones are preserved during the wildfire, and the charred remains of parent conifers become fertiliser for the new sprouts...and because the land is cleared, they can grow rapidly to regenerate the wilderness.
    There are numerous plants even on this side of the US which are adapted to fire, such as Black Cherry, Low-bush Blueberry, Pin Cherry, Sweet Fern, the Aspens, and many of the Birches.
    Just some food for thought .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Cheers to you for setting a proper example .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

I've no idea how old you are, it matters not and you have done your best to stop further damage but just think about what I said...you don't need a fire for a brew IMHO.

A few years ago I organised several trips to http://home.btconnect.com/Glyn-Y-Mul...lfhomepage.htm at the time it was pretty much unkown. Around 17 acres of woodland in a superb setting and within a year there was not enough dead wood to make a matchstick...bushcrafters had been camping, I was stunned after visiting for the first time in a few months. One fire was never enough, you'd have 'brew' fires' breakfast fires et al and the place was stripped bare with multiple earch scars still on show even though the people use the 'leave no trace' approach. Its still a wonderful spot run by Ian, a cracking bloke but now you have to bring your own wood or buy it off him or the local petrol station/Tesco.

'Firecraft' is a fantasic skill to learn but not one you need employ on every trip.

If you are young or new to bushcraft don't let the 'image' of what you think you should do to match it conflict with the reality of bushcraft camping in the UK.

I'll send you a stove/kettle kit for free if you want it, trust me it won't detract from the pleasure you have on your outings.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Ime with Jus on this one, but you do need to dig out a divot/sod of grass to be sure of LNT, or use a hobo stove, etc. And BTW Rik means well and is only giving his opinion on this subect of which there are many and varied, and he has a valid point if a fire is not contained properly .Remember the forum is here to guide/imform and share which means you might sometimes hear something you dont like but it is there nontheless to bear in mind, atb,Ken
    Last edited by Rasputin; 17-07-2014 at 06:43 PM.
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Oh definitely, Rasp. It's a valid point and one I have taken on board It's not that I didn't like it, it seemed like all the frustration about fire scars was aimed at me. However, Rik and I have sorted everything!

Atb, Zac.

Oh definitely, Rasp. It's a valid point and one I have taken on board It's not that I didn't like it, it seemed like all the frustration about fire scars was aimed at me. However, Rik and I have sorted everything!

Atb, Zac.
    Just like text messages the messages on the forum can be misinterpreted because there is no vocal tone or facial expression to work out the tone of the message so its always better to take things at face value than get shirty. I recently made a TLUD gasifier stove which allows you to have your cake and eat it too.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA_s...-qfd7TKzb4yWXA Its light,easy to make and gives you free fuel the same as an open fire.. simples
    Last edited by Rasputin; 17-07-2014 at 08:15 PM.
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    I've no idea how old you are, it matters not and you have done your best to stop further damage but just think about what I said...you don't need a fire for a brew IMHO.

A few years ago I organised several trips to http://home.btconnect.com/Glyn-Y-Mul...lfhomepage.htm at the time it was pretty much unkown. Around 17 acres of woodland in a superb setting and within a year there was not enough dead wood to make a matchstick...bushcrafters had been camping, I was stunned after visiting for the first time in a few months. One fire was never enough, you'd have 'brew' fires' breakfast fires et al and the place was stripped bare with multiple earch scars still on show even though the people use the 'leave no trace' approach. Its still a wonderful spot run by Ian, a cracking bloke but now you have to bring your own wood or buy it off him or the local petrol station/Tesco.

'Firecraft' is a fantasic skill to learn but not one you need employ on every trip.

If you are young or new to bushcraft don't let the 'image' of what you think you should do to match it conflict with the reality of bushcraft camping in the UK.

I'll send you a stove/kettle kit for free if you want it, trust me it won't detract from the pleasure you have on your outings.
    Reading through your post, I could agree with pretty much everything you said. In many ways it comes back to my post on the lack of knowledge or respect for our environment but only education can alter that. I also agree with the fact that you don't need a fire for every brew. Needing and wanting are entirely different and there is no harm in having a small fire on the go if properly undertaken. Why anyone would require multiple fires is beyond me, just seems downright unsociable.

As an edit - I wholeheartedly agree with you on the unsightly scars left by the thoughtless. I regularly use a site with my Scout/DofE Groups that allow fires on the ground. I haven't yet figured out why other site users think that it is easier to construct a new fire site by shifting all the rocks etc. rather than just use it where it already lays. The only saving grace is that the hearths don't take long to recover their grassy growth.
    Last edited by jus_young; 17-07-2014 at 10:59 PM.