Thread: Somewhere?

Unhappy Somewhere?

Somewhere on this site I've seen a knife with a handle made from this wood (I think). I also think it was hardened? So.......would I be better to use wood hardener from a shop, or send it away and have it treated (impregnated?). The block in question is about 12"x3". I think it's Birch with a fungi through it or something odd.
    Any ideas?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011_0218cup0017.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	734

Oh I'm using it as scales, as opposed to a block.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Albert Einstein

Look's like spalted birch?

It depends how much the professional treating would cost i guess.
    When in doubt Brew-Up!

Would be mine, i used spalted maple that I hardened. I got the piece in a 1/4" thick slice, cut off peices bigger than the handle on my knife, put in a glass jar and poured Minwax wood hardener to the top and put the lid on. Left it sit for couple hours with occasional tipping and such, then pulled and let dry for a few days. Worked really well, they were difficult for me to shape with sandpaper later on when I installed them on the knife.

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...-knife-project.......

You could cut veneers from it Gary and glue the leaves onto a strong substrate like boxwood-scour the bootfairs for an old(ish) folding wooden rule these are made of box-if you glued the veneer on with 2 part epoxy resin then you could 'overcoat' the face side of the veneer with warmed resin-this should run like honey-then make a final 'overcoat' with the hardener -this will take a bit of sanding and buffing once hard, but will come up like polished granite

Gary it looks like salted birch, Iv got a cup made of the same stuff it leeks like a sif? throw the black bits. cutting scales out of a block can be a pain if you have'ant got the rite tools,I'v tryed, with a japanes back saw and its pain in the ass. with blocks i normanly cut across the block and use for the hidden tang blades i make. wot sort of blade are you going to be working with?. You're not that far from us , we are haveing a bit of a meet next Sunday 27th over hear in essex only for the afternoon from 12 onwards for a chat & a tea in a wood over hear if you'r intersted............atb............TONY

Yup, it was your knife I was trying to find Mike!! I new it was there somewhere. Doh!
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Albert Einstein

I had a feeling, at first looked like you have a piece of zebrawood there til I enlarged it and saw the spalting. Basically it led me to find the right knife.