Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tramontina Mechete

Tramontina Mechete

I'm in the mood to have a play with a machete. I'm going to mod one and make a sheath but I'm not sure if I should go for the Bolo style, Like this...

http://www.ronniesunshines.com/origi...n-machete.html

or the Brazilian style like this...

http://www.heinnie.com/tramontina-ma...ina-14-machete

Anyone have one, or use one at all?

Well whats it for? One is a better slasher and the bolo lends itself more to chopping.

I have the brazilian style one in 18" form... really good tool. I can go through 2" saplings in one swing. Might need to reshape the handle on them a bit though.

It's not really for anything specific, other than Zombie intimidation and me wanting a play at modding one, but I suppose if I go to the trouble of making the mods, I should really use it. I bought myself a Magnum machete some years ago and paired it with a small stainless fixed blade as a set. The plan was to have a set that would cover fine cutting and heavier chopping and could be used when I'm not anticipating needing an axe or a saw. The set is a soulless piece of plastic and stainless though and I'm looking at something with a bit more "character". I have looked at a Hudson's bay and patch knife set in the past, so something like that but with a machete instead.

Do you happen to know if the bolo and Brazilian are the same thickness? I read about 2mm somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by HillBill View Post
    Well whats it for? One is a better slasher and the bolo lends itself more to chopping.

I have the brazilian style one in 18" form... really good tool. I can go through 2" saplings in one swing. Might need to reshape the handle on them a bit though.

Do have a "standard"Machete,but perfer n use a parang.Cold Steel have a nice range!
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Not sure on Bolo, but the other is 2mm.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    It's not really for anything specific, other than Zombie intimidation and me wanting a play at modding one, but I suppose if I go to the trouble of making the mods, I should really use it. I bought myself a Magnum machete some years ago and paired it with a small stainless fixed blade as a set. The plan was to have a set that would cover fine cutting and heavier chopping and could be used when I'm not anticipating needing an axe or a saw. The set is a soulless piece of plastic and stainless though and I'm looking at something with a bit more "character". I have looked at a Hudson's bay and patch knife set in the past, so something like that but with a machete instead.

Do you happen to know if the bolo and Brazilian are the same thickness? I read about 2mm somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post

Email Ronnies there good and will email you back, I think the Bolo is 3.2mm
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

I use a Tramontina nearly every day. I've had my present one for at least 6 maybe 7 years. It's got have been one of the most cost effective tools I've ever bought
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

That's interesting, I take it you use it work related, rather than purely bushcrafty, so what kind of things do you do with it HB, can I ask you what you think are the strengths and weaknesses and what model you use?

Quote Originally Posted by happybonzo View Post
    I use a Tramontina nearly every day. I've had my present one for at least 6 maybe 7 years. It's got have been one of the most cost effective tools I've ever bought

Good idea, I'll try them tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Email Ronnies there good and will email you back, I think the Bolo is 3.2mm

Thanks for the info Midas, Cold steel have carbon blades under the black, so they should look ok once cleaned and they are as tough as old boots, so that's a positive, but the handles leave me cold. They also maybe "over engineered" being too thick for a machete and maybe a bit on the heavy side?

Who makes the parang you have?

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    Do have a "standard"Machete,but perfer n use a parang.Cold Steel have a nice range!