Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powdered Milk

Powdered Milk

So.
    Powdered milk.
    Is it a convenient way of having milk with you for making bannock and a mug of hot brown, or the work of the Devil?
    What do you reckon?
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

It lasts a lot longer than fresh milk so that's a bonus. However, I only take a tiny bit of milk in me tea so I'm happy to drink it without milk when I'm in the woods. I'd certainly pre-mix the dry goods for bannock so I'm not committed to using it. I'd definately give powedered milk a vote for convenience when out and about but when in doors it's fresh milk every time.

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Tesco sell a full fat version of dried milk on their 'American' produce aisle. Past comments from others have been pretty positive and most say that there is no difference in taste compared to regular milk. Its pretty pricey at nearly four quid a tin but I would buy it if it made the taste better.

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
    Tesco sell a full fat version of dried milk on their 'American' produce aisle. Past comments from others have been pretty positive and most say that there is no difference in taste compared to regular milk. Its pretty pricey at nearly four quid a tin but I would buy it if it made the taste better.
    Tried others and been disappointed, i will have to try this one

it can't be as nice, but for sheer convenience it is great. i drink black coffee so again it don't matter to me, but for cooking or adding to dishes yep good one.

Got nothing against it. Powdered milk was the only milk where I grew up. No dairy cows at the Svalbard Islands, no ships for 8 months of the year and milk was to heavy (i.e) expensive to fly in on the bi-weekly flights...

Well, the only way to get it down was to mix it with chockolate powder. It left a thick layer of fat in the glass...

Norwegians generally drink their tea with sugar only...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I like it and use it all the time. I have used the squishy tube of condensed milk in my brews before now, it's sweet so saves having to carry sugar too
    Winter is coming

Quote Originally Posted by ehecatl View Post
    it lasts a lot longer than fresh milk so that's a bonus. However, i only take a tiny bit of milk in me tea so i'm happy to drink it without milk when i'm in the woods. I'd certainly pre-mix the dry goods for bannock so i'm not committed to using it. I'd definately give powedered milk a vote for convenience when out and about but when in doors it's fresh milk every time.

M@
    +1 t^
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Quote Originally Posted by Blood View Post
    I like it and use it all the time. I have used the squishy tube of condensed milk in my brews before now, it's sweet so saves having to carry sugar too
    That's what I tend to take now rather than powdered. It doesn't have the issues of not dissolving properly and lasts very well.

If its kept too long (not stored properly or OOD ) it doesn't dissolve properly, if you put it in boiling liquid it goes gloopy, but if you use it as directed its a good alternative. And as I drink fully skimmed milk at home it tastes no different to me. defo not the devils work
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.