Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DD lightweight Tarp anyone used one??

DD lightweight Tarp anyone used one??

Hello all

Just wondering if anyone has used one of these before and if they are any good??

http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/DD_Superlight_Tarp

Cheers

Scott

You've noticed their new gear as well eh? I have been looking at the lightweight range for the last couple of evenings and my wallet started twitching ( or was it panicking?)

Yea it does look pretty good but I cant find any reviews anywhere. I think my wallet was the same after all it is pay day today. Justin haven't you got that very light weight tarp already??

I have got the TW Sargasso but it has nowhere near the coverage of the DD tarps. Found that it is ideal for good weather but as soon as there is a bit of rain with a touch of wind things start getting a little damp.

I'm not a big fan of DD tarps, to be honest.
    It's not the quality so much as the material.
    I find that the material that DD us on their tarps reflects light rather than absorbs it. When the sun hits a DD tarp the whole thing lights up! You can even see it in their own promotional images. Look at the way the coyote tarp turns into bright orange. And the pattern of the multicam one is just too repetitive and undermines the point.
    I don't know what material they are using on the new lightweight tarps but I have my doubts and expect it to be just as reflective.
    Nah, DD tarps don't do it for me.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

That's an interesting opinion I've not heard that before. I know a lot of people swear by the DD tarps. My problem is I want something that going to be as good as my tatonka tarp but I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen in a lightweight option.

Well, the sun is only a myth where I live, so that ain't a problem. Nor do I really have to hide as we have the freedom to roam. So I love my DD tarp. But have not tried the light one.

But then I am walking around in a desert camo jacket in the woods...I might as well light a signal fire!
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

TW TARPS for me all the way. The 3 x 3 Cornelius is fine in rain but the 4 x 3 is much better. It keeps everything dry and has loads of attachment points.

How heavy is it Neil i'm looking at lightweight kit at the moment??

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Nor do I really have to hide as we have the freedom to roam.
    It's not really a question of 'hiding'. In the UK we are allowed to pitch up a tarp as well!
    It's more to do with the fact that I don't want to look like a blot on someone else's landscape. I don't like it when I go out into the countryside and all I see are people in bright red, orange, and blue coats bobbing about (which is OK in remote areas where you may need S&R to find you, but not on the North Downs or anywhere else in the home counties, quite frankly), ruining my view. That's why I wear muted colours - so I don't ruin their view. And I don't want my tarp lighting up for the same reason. I prefer to blend in. Maybe it's just a psychological thing, but that's enough for me. And DD tarps are quite prone to light reflection.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/