Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sat nav advice.

Thanks guys, should of explained in more detail.

I use google maps now with smart phone but I was looking for more information not just directions, also looking to use it in and around Europe so needs to have Western European maps.

Would love a sat with some OS features if that's possible not sure.

Battery wise my phone it lasts around 4 hours if constantly on. I reckon a half decent sat could get 5 plus maybe?

Anyways thanks will check out the few links/apps now.

CoPilot app for the iPhone is free and has European maps
    I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    This happens when I use the GPS...i.e have it running in the foreground...thats sort of the purpose of it. In all other situations I turn it completely off...
    Power consumption can vary a lot and depends on various factors like the device, the battery, the app that using the GPS, how it's using it and how you are using it.

When I use GPS mapping software my battery can last all day long, even when GPS is in constant usage like when tracking walks because I disable services in OS I do no need/want to use. My maps are offline so not using mobile data, airplane mode is on etc.

Plus I always carry charged/spare batteries and a USB power bank as extra backup.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Quote Originally Posted by Davepr View Post
    Thanks guys, should of explained in more detail.

I use google maps now with smart phone but I was looking for more information not just directions, also looking to use it in and around Europe so needs to have Western European maps.

Would love a sat with some OS features if that's possible not sure.

Battery wise my phone it lasts around 4 hours if constantly on. I reckon a half decent sat could get 5 plus maybe?

Anyways thanks will check out the few links/apps now.

ViewRanger has full OS maps, downloadable routes/guides, route tracking/sharing etc.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Quote Originally Posted by ADz View Post
    Power consumption can vary a lot and depends on various factors like the device, the battery, the app that using the GPS, how it's using it and how you are using it.

When I use GPS mapping software my battery can last all day long, even when GPS is in constant usage like when tracking walks because I disable services in OS I do no need/want to use. My maps are offline so not using mobile data, airplane mode is on etc.

Plus I always carry charged/spare batteries and a USB power bank as extra backup.

I only use mine with the screen on. And everything else is disabled. Else the same as you. It's a dedicated app with the maps downloaded. But as soon as I switch on the GPS I can litterlally see the charge count down. I am on my fourth smart phone, all of different brands and they have all been the same. Have to keep them plugged in to be of any use in the car.

But I think perhaps you use yours screen off for tracking.

Anyway, in the woods I use an analogue map. I only use the GPS to pin point my position as a grid reference to transfer to the map if I get unsure. Also got an app that will SMS my position to rescue services at the press of a button if I need to...

Been to the retailer so many times looking at GPS. But always argued myself from it. My maps and compass don't use batteries :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum