Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on this knife?

We've all done the same thing. Buying all manner of sharp things, no matter how much good advice we get lol.
    Glad you found one that works for you in the end, and also that the other blades you bought have found places to do their tasks
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Haha I haven't finished yet Adam..

Soon I will be looking into getting a bushcraft axe and a hatchet!

Woodwork will be a lot easier with those in my pack

A splitting axe and a small hatchet will make things lot easier, like you say. For the splitting axe the quality isn't quite as important, but with a small hatchet it's really a case of "you get what you pay for". I've used many small hatchets, and the best ones have been the Gransfors, and the vintage hand forged examples. Although the latter can take quite a bit of work to get them up to scratch, they're often easily found at flea markets, boot sales, and antiques dealers, for little money.
    A decent folding saw comes in very handy too, such as any of the Bahco models, or Silkys (if you can stretch the their budget).
    For large sawing tasks a bow saw, or a buck saw are a god send.

Both splitting axe and hatchet are on my shopping list

I have been looking at investing in a folding saw, any recommendations?

Also, do you have any websites/YouTube videos that will give me an insight into locating rabbit snares in order to increase my chances?

Atb

For the money, I'd recommend the Bahco Laplander. It's got a good solid build quality, the blade will lock closed as well as open, and it cuts better, for longer, than anything cheaper, as well as some that are more expensive. Replacement blades are available too, if you can find a seller with a good price.
    There are many that get on well with cheaper saws, but it can be a bit of a gamble with them. Quality control isn't always consistent.

YouTube will have lots of snare based videos, but generally they need to be placed on a run that you know is in use. Also make sure you know the legal requirements with setting snares too. Don;t want to get into trouble with anyone

I'd rather invest my money into something that is going to last as you say, money is a major concern to a student!

Saving for the Bahco Laplander seems to me that that's the way I will go!

It's not so much the snaring I'd have the issue with it's locating a run, tracking etc. not just for rabbits but for any food source. The only type of 'hunting' per se I've ever done is some fishing with my old man when I was really young.. that didn't go too well either!

Runs are pretty easy to identify really, but it's one of those things that has a few variations to look out for, and much easier to have someone with you that can show you in the flesh. There's only so much you can see on a video, or in photos, especially if they don't have the colour/contrast/saturation/etc correct.
    Where abouts in the country are you. There's a top guy I know, who lives on the edge of Somerset and Dorset, who knows all there is to know, and is a great teacher. He's on the forum too, but if you're in the opposite direction, it's not much use lol. There are probably many more great trackers on this forum, and even more that know a good enough amount to be able to help.

I thought as much, that's always where I come unstuck. For as long as I can remember I have moved around. On average once every two years, meaning that getting to know people isn't something that's come easily due to moving soon after arriving.

Currently, I live in Stoke on Trent. Not many people, at least so far, on here are from around this area.

Due to this I often venture out alone.

There are a few lads from a little further north than you, but not sure when they are planning another meet. It's worth keeping an eye out on the meets section of the forum. Strangers are usually welcome, and you seem like a polite enough person lol. I'm sure there's some members in the Derby area, which isn't too away from your area.

No derby isn't all that far away

I have a look on the meets section from time to time but it doesn't change that much lol.

I'm sure it'll happen soon enough!