Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hudson Bay tinderbox

Hudson Bay tinderbox

I'm considering buying a Hudson Bay tinder box but I could get solid brass , copper or solid brass plated with silver . Any suggestions? Is there any benefit of using that one?

Thank you.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I suppose it's authentic in keeping with traditional Woodlore/Bushcraft. I'd go with one that's going to last robust enough & not going to rust for long-term use. These have a magnifier on the lid too. A polished tobacco tin would do the same job.
    Regards
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hudson Bay Tinderbox.jpg 
Views:	549 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	12229

I've got one in brass, thought it would remain in better condition than copper, or tin. I'm glad i picked brass as it develops a nice patina. Great bits of kit.
    He who says "he can" and he who says "he can't", are both usually right.

Ive got a brass one too, yes a baccy tin would do the same but thats not the point. If you're buying a replica of an 18th C bit of kit , it's for more than its practicality or modernity... ;-) I love mine and its just so tactile.

I have one of these, in brass. Imho. they are a very practical piece of kit - and not just a trinket.

The size of the tin is perfect for a small or medium sized fire steel, a large enough piece of flint and a small selection of tinder. I keep horse hoof fungus, jute string and charcloth in mine. The lid of the tin is very tight fitting, keeping moisture out of your tinder - and charcloth dust out of your gear.

I have yet to try lighting fire with the magnifying glass glass though.

Only downside to these tins is the price really.

I really like my hudson bay tinderbox i find it useful as well, i do keep it with my traditronal kit, and for other kits i do have tinder boxes but most of them are some form of tin alot of them geing 2oz or 1oz tobacco tins as long as they are burnproof and can be sealed to stop the air getting in and reigniting the tinder you are safe

Here's some pix of my brass HBTB:

The 6X mag lens really works well with char cloth and charred punk wood when the sun is at it's peak...

DomC

Peasant
    So, what do people feel is the best material for construction. Quite interested in getting one for myself but wondered if one material would be better somehow to another.

Brass, copper or the plated version?

It's just a preference thing imo, they are all good. Copper and brass patinate beautifully, with copper moreso...the one pictured is in brass...

DomC
    Survival is about getting OUTof the bush safely, bushcraft is about getting INTO the bush and thriving.
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man." Nordic proverb...
    "the more you know, the less you need."
    Gal 2:20

Quote Originally Posted by DomC View Post
    It's just a preference thing imo, they are all good. Copper and brass patinate beautifully, with copper moreso...the one pictured is in brass...

DomC
    Nothing looks as nice as brass or copper as it ages
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and