Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emergency - Magnesium Fire Starter Block

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    The combination was tried & tested works without a doubt. I've also since been given a 2oz tobacco tin with magnesium shavings/filings from recycling millings from a workshop that was using magnesium blocks/rods. I was more concerned about the storage of such as it's classed as an 'incendiary' in this form, I didn't want this combination of hemp/jute cord, wax, turps, & magnesium going up as I was unsure of the shelf life or storage of such between uses? Ready for the next batch as I used/shared such from July (now December).
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by DuxDawg View Post
    I have found magnesium alloy bars to be the slowest, most laborious, least reliable modern method of ignition. Pure magnesium scrapes and burns much better than alloy. If the aluminum content in the alloy is too high, it will not ignite with a ferro. With a little skill a few scrapes on a ferro is plenty. If you plan on relying on a magnesium alloy bar I highly recommend testing it before heading out.
    Last edited by David_JAFO; 04-12-2014 at 01:06 PM.

Samuel Hearne
    Hi David I used to have one of them magnesium bars and it worked very well, SWMBO bought me a new one made by doan which are still issued to the American armed forces.

Hi Dave,

My post was about magnesium alloy in general, not your fire starters in specific. However, since we find ourselves on that subject, here we go. I have not experimented with "turps" (guessing turpentine) soaked jute. At a guess the wax should seal it fairly well. I have used waxed jute, waxed cotton balls and magnesium alloy shavings stored in a piece of plastic drinking straw with both ends melted. Also the waxed jute and waxed cotton balls stored in a ziploc, no straw. All were fully functional after being stored for more than two years.

I was somewhat surprised the magnesium alloy didn't oxidize and suffer in performance. Appears the turps are the only unaccounted for variable, everything else should store for years and still work just fine. Hope that helps.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    DuxDawg the magnesium alloy shavings didn't oxidize or suffer in performance, I did intend to create a batch & use soon as, I was more concerned if I had to store such long-term, so you have answered my question. I've also tried & tested over time your other suggestions. Ian C I've seen these Doan Magnesium blocks I think they're the same as the originals, only different stamp/manufacturers details on either sides? Thanks for the replies appreciated
    Regards
    David