Thread: Here's a stupid thought, what's going on?

Here's a stupid thought, what's going on?

"If you second-guessed your decision to book time to visit a Native American community; that woulb be a Reservation reservation reservation. (Brian Regan, All By Myself.)

Always open with a joke.

It's been a long couple of weeks with some stressful things going on in my life, but it's a 3-day weekend coming up, we're taking the kids out to a shearing festival at a local farm this weekend for the "running of the sheep" where I'll be getting myself some fresh lamb and alpaca barbecue. There's also a woman who's there every year with fresh, hot maple scones and maple syrup flavored coffee first thing in the morning. MMmmmmmmm...

Picked up a lovely hickory axe handle a the hardware store for the axe head I've been working on, and I can't wait to put that thing to work in the yard. I put up a new swing in the apple tree out back that my 5 year old twins just love, everything is blooming and growing, working on projects to improve the house and repair things before our third child arrives in August. God has been good to us.

I'm trying to look past the stress and see how I'm blessed right now. Too many of my close friends and family know about the stressor(s) so when I start to talk to them about it, everything wells up, my stomach ties in knots, and I end up more agitated than relieved.

So this is my mini-vent, mostly about the good stuff going on in my life. Taking stock, if you follow.

Hope all is well with all.

Josh
    "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time..." ~Steven Wright~

It can be difficult when everyone you know is aware of your problems. Wishing all good things for you and yours.

Sorry to hear about the stress - it is good to vent a little, but I find the best remedy is to do the things I like doing. It's truly amazing how spending even half a day in the woods (all to one's-self) can have a comforting, grounding-effect on the Body, Mind, and Spirit.
    Ah, Maple coffee...reminds me of my visits to New Hampshire, especially a little farm in Piermont. Nothing like waking up to a healthy, heavy breakfast; those farmers won't let you leave the house 'till you're stuffed .
    Oh goodie, another axe restoration!!
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Thanks for the replies, AJ and Jon. I found it cathartic to just write those things down, simple as it is. Life comes at you sometimes and time is precious, so for now I'm going to try and dwell on one of my favorite Bible verses: Philippians 4:8, "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Can't dwell on the stress if I'm dwelling on the good, right?

I am really looking forward to an all-day event on Saturday, the owners of the farm are some of the most welcoming, warm and generous people I've ever met. They go above and beyond for their guests, and the whole shearing festival gets better every year.

AXE RESTORATION! Yeah, I'm excited about it. I think the head is about 3 -> 3 1/2lb, I'm not totally sure of the pattern, the only marking is a large "6" on one side. It's somewhere between a Dayton pattern and a Connecticut pattern. I got a 28" hickory handle from Link Handles. I guess more to come in a different thread.

All the best guys,

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown14 View Post
    "If you second-guessed your decision to book time to visit a Native American community; that woulb be a Reservation reservation reservation. (Brian Regan, All By Myself.)

Always open with a joke.

It's been a long couple of weeks with some stressful things going on in my life, but it's a 3-day weekend coming up, we're taking the kids out to a shearing festival at a local farm this weekend for the "running of the sheep" where I'll be getting myself some fresh lamb and alpaca barbecue. There's also a woman who's there every year with fresh, hot maple scones and maple syrup flavored coffee first thing in the morning. MMmmmmmmm...

Picked up a lovely hickory axe handle a the hardware store for the axe head I've been working on, and I can't wait to put that thing to work in the yard. I put up a new swing in the apple tree out back that my 5 year old twins just love, everything is blooming and growing, working on projects to improve the house and repair things before our third child arrives in August. God has been good to us.

I'm trying to look past the stress and see how I'm blessed right now. Too many of my close friends and family know about the stressor(s) so when I start to talk to them about it, everything wells up, my stomach ties in knots, and I end up more agitated than relieved.

So this is my mini-vent, mostly about the good stuff going on in my life. Taking stock, if you follow.

Hope all is well with all.

Josh
    I am so with you 100% on this. It can be hard looking for those highs at times like these, let alone actually finding them.

When it comes to the reasons why we carry on it inevitably comes back to those closest to us. Wake up each morning, take a good long look at your nearest and dearest, and then smile. The day is then yours my friend and you have the strength to take on anything that life throws at you.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    I am so with you 100% on this. It can be hard looking for those highs at times like these, let alone actually finding them.

When it comes to the reasons why we carry on it inevitably comes back to those closest to us. Wake up each morning, take a good long look at your nearest and dearest, and then smile. The day is then yours my friend and you have the strength to take on anything that life throws at you.
    You've got that right. I leave the house every morning while my 5 year old twins are getting ready for school (boy and girl) and as I'm about to head out the door, I call out, "Buh-bye kiddos!" I very quickly hear the thudding of 4 little feet running to the stairs and see the two racing down toward me in various stages of dress to give me giant bear hugs and kisses. Best way to start the day.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown14 View Post
    You've got that right. I leave the house every morning while my 5 year old twins are getting ready for school (boy and girl) and as I'm about to head out the door, I call out, "Buh-bye kiddos!" I very quickly hear the thudding of 4 little feet running to the stairs and see the two racing down toward me in various stages of dress to give me giant bear hugs and kisses. Best way to start the day.
    many folk would give their right arm just for what you have there,lifes never that bad and there's some good listners on here....good luck mate...atb kev

Sounds like the axe head I have, both in pattern and weight . It came with the house when the family bought it in the late '80s. Now all I need is a good belt sander and new axe helve...
    I eagerly await your progress

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin

Just returned from our day at the farm. Got my maple flavored coffee and fresh, warm maple scone with maple butter within 5 minutes of getting there. MMMmmmmmm...
    Started out cold in the morning, about 50F and overcast and ended up close to 70F with sunny skies within an hour or so.
    We met friends and their kids there which was nice. I've grown up with two of these men since we were less than 5 years old (I'll be 39 in a couple of months.) So it was good to spend a day with those near and dear and leave everything from the last couple of weeks behind for a day.

Thanks for the encouraging words, all. Kev (headshot) you're absolutely right, my friend, I know a number of people who would give all they own and two limbs to have what I have, and I would sell all I own and even lay down my own life in order to care for my family. Which is why, without getting into the details, I've been under so much stress and mental and emotional and spiritual anguish in the last couple of weeks because the crap going on directly affects them. If I could solve it by slugging someone in the nose, I would, but alas, it's not to be right now.

Anyway, thanks again, God bless all.

And Jon, I'll be working on that axe more this week, possibly posting some pictures in another thread.

(By the way, this year, lunch was Alpaca sausage on a roll, the lamb was a bit gristly, but still tasty and juicy nonetheless.)

All the best,

Josh

You can never go wrong with Maple when it comes to food .
    My thoughts are with you, my friend...I hope your situation resolves quickly and without harm to you and your family.

~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin