Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a Coracle

Making a Coracle

I have spent a while researching coracle design, and today I made a start.
    I love making things and this is an exiting new project and indeed, probably going to turn into a lifetime hobby too, with lots of mistakes and lessons learned on the way.

I'm going to post pictures and describe each stage. Please be aware, I am a total beginner at this and although I've studied designs, videos and others descriptions, I'm pretty much making it up as I go. Any hints, tips and Constructive Critisism are very welcome.

This is the coppiced willow hedge I'm sourcing materials from

Willow hedge by roadkillphil, on Flickr

This is Rooster, A good friend o mine, he wanted to come and play too. So we set to harvesting the willow wands

Cutting wands by roadkillphil, on Flickr

I marked out the ribs on the grass using a couple of sticks and cordage as a compass. I marked out 2 semi circles with a straight edge between of about a foot. This gave me an oval shape, but not too elongated. I also used a stick to mark the difference between the holes.

Marking ribs by roadkillphil, on Flickr

Then we sharpened up the wands and inserted them into the pre marked holes, giving them a good shove and angling them out slightly.

Cutting more ribs by roadkillphil, on Flickr

One wand looked a bit ropey so, Rooster went and cut another. As you can see in the photo we're building right next to the hedge for this eventuality and also because neither of us have embarked on a project such as this, so we aint 100% on the amount of willow we're gonna need. I'd rather cut just what I need as I go.

By this stage the light was thinning and we wanted to have a plink with the air rifle and catty before dark, so we left it at that and had an hour of target practice down by the stream.

I'm gonna bash on tomorrow with the weaving, seat and skin. My plan is a rough cut seat, a painters dust sheet for the skin and tar paint to waterproof.

Update to this post: As of December 2011 Phil has produced a video on this Coracle, you can watch it here...

Wow that's a cool project, looking to forward to the rest of the pics of the project and seeing your maiden voyage. Any chance of a video of that?
    resnikov

"You can do loads in 12 minutes. Suck a mint, buy a sledge, have a fast bath"

My blog & twitter

looking good, i'm eagerly waiting for the next instalment.

Oh yes! Rooster is keen to film the maiden voyage, as I reckon and he is certain an instant capsize is inevitable
    We have a pond near the hedge, and I'm seriously considering donning my wetsuit for the first few goes as its bleddy cold at the mo!

Also I mustn't forget to construct a paddle, I'd like to make my own. Any thoughts on choice of wood and carving methods welcome.

Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkillphil View Post
    Oh yes! Rooster is keen to film the maiden voyage, as I reckon and he is certain an instant capsize is inevitable
    Didn't want to say but I thought it might happen
    resnikov

"You can do loads in 12 minutes. Suck a mint, buy a sledge, have a fast bath"

My blog & twitter

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Good project.. I likey.. :0)

Ambitious and terrific project - looking fwd to following this one so good luck...

Beats the hell out of my bread basket...!
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Fantastic job

There is a guy here in Falmouth that builds Currachs Check out the video http://www.realcornwall.tv/arts/arti...a-currach.html

You have to sit through an advert for 30 seconds or so
    aman

Banned
    Suggest that flattening the bottom is good.

Congrats on the build so far.

I always capsize the first time I go out after a spell away. Just a matter of confidence, stepping in the right place. turning and sitting down as you push off. Took me a bit to realise that a boat will try and look after you if you let it.

Ash is traditional for a paddle or willow would be good. But a spade handle with a screwed on plywood blade would do.
    Last edited by Edwin; 12-02-2011 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Just deleted a "Grandmother sucking eggs post"

Banned
    Tremayne Quay on the Helford for a foraging coracle meet sometime? I mostly go out from Durgan.