Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bushcraft course, any recommendations?

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    Stag horn, that's quite a knife. Ironically he went on to design his own.......
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Paul Kirtley was Ray's Chief instructor and he also set up most of Ray's courses in their main format. I have had some instruction from him and he is a great bloke and really down to earth, Woodsmoke is also one of the top schools in the country as well. At the end of the day it comes down to what you want to learn and how much you want to pay and how far you want to travel.

Winter is coming

Winter is coming

That one in Ruthin looks great tbh
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Whilst the ethos of Natural Bushcraft is opposed to charging for bushcraft tuition, we all understand and accept that there is a demand for such business and presumably a section of the community who are prepared to part with cash to partake in courses.

My advice, for what it's worth, would be to think carefully what it is you want to learn and try to find out if you will learn those skills any better on a paid for course than you could through trial and error or at a meet with like minded people. I can't believe that paying loads of money will give you any more experience but may provide you with some tips to speed up your personal journey.

Perhaps you could list here, the types of skills you feel you are lacking in? It may help you to see what it is you want to learn and to take it from there?

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Whilst the ethos of Natural Bushcraft is opposed to charging for bushcraft tuition, we all understand and accept that there is a demand for such business and presumably a section of the community who are prepared to part with cash to partake in courses.

My advice, for what it's worth, would be to think carefully what it is you want to learn and try to find out if you will learn those skills any better on a paid for course than you could through trial and error or at a meet with like minded people. I can't believe that paying loads of money will give you any more experience but may provide you with some tips to speed up your personal journey.

Perhaps you could list here, the types of skills you feel you are lacking it? It may help you to see what it is you want to learn and to take it from there?

Martin
    I'm pretty egalitarian about things myself in a lot of ways, but it's more about consolidation. Realistically before becoming more active on the forum I've gleaned as info from as many sources I could. After basically nearly 21 years (yes I started at 4) I have hit the wall lol. I'm proficient enough with the fundamental basics, however I'm planning longer trips away. Call it a refresher and confidence builder. I'd also like to study the more advanced side of things.
    Border Bushcrafters

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Midge_Fodder View Post
    I'm pretty egalitarian about things myself in a lot of ways, but it's more about consolidation. Realistically before becoming more active on the forum I've gleaned as info from as many sources I could. After basically nearly 21 years (yes I started at 4) I have hit the wall lol. I'm proficient enough with the fundamental basics, however I'm planning longer trips away. Call it a refresher and confidence builder. I'd also like to study the more advanced side of things.
    My point is, if you've been doing this for 21 years there's not much they can teach you, is there? What, specifically do you think there is to learn that will be worth forking out £100's for? I don't believe that there is any magic formula or secret to bushcraft. It's about sharing and learning and trying stuff for yourself. I stand to be shot down in flames but I know I'm not alone in this belief. I would urge you to write the list of what it is you're searching for. It may help you to decide if it's worth £600!!

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

My point is, if you've been doing this for 21 years there's not much they can teach you, is there? What, specifically do you think there is to learn that will be worth forking out £100's for? I don't believe that there is any magic formula or secret to bushcraft. It's about sharing and learning and trying stuff for yourself. I stand to be shot down in flames but I know I'm not alone in this belief. I would urge you to write the list of what it is you're searching for. It may help you to decide if it's worth £600!!

Martin
    That's a fair point. Cheers for opening up the forum for dialog. Having other beliefs in direction is never a bad thing. Shug
    Border Bushcrafters

Perhaps you could list here, the types of skills you feel you are lacking in? It may help you to see what it is you want to learn and to take it from there?

Martin
    I agree !
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.