Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use these sort of gas cannisters?

Trapper

Anyone use these sort of gas cannisters?

For stove use..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...F8&me=&seller=

How long would this type of gas last on average? ie if you left it running until it expired.

How longs a piece of string?Have used one with my mini stove.200/220gGas.But I have one of the 3leg adapters which allow one to use the 8 for a tenner 220g gas cylinders.Ive been using n logging a 220g,and have used it over 3hours to boil 2 cups of water,in my ali whisling kettle.n its still going thou I don't think for much longer.Hope this helps.
    This is inside!ie test conditions !if you are out in the cold ,wind,etc this will greatly effect the performance n burn time.!
    Last edited by midas; 05-04-2014 at 08:27 PM. Reason: PS
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    I use those and also the smaller ones but I confess I've never actually really timed or tested them. The mere thought of running out of gas and being brewless terrifies me so much I always carry a spare..

Quote Originally Posted by Law View Post
    For stove use..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...F8&me=&seller=

How long would this type of gas last on average? ie if you left it running until it expired.
    As mentioned, it's hard to tell. Different stoves have different wattage ratings, and therefor fuel consumption. Most stoves tell you the consumption in the instructions.

The Coleman F1 Lite stove (which is 4800w output) is rated at 330 grams per hour consumption, at 4600w, so a 250 gram cartridge would last fractionally over 45 minutes. Obviously you don't need to use a stove at full power for most things.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Trapper
    Ok thanks all, Im just wondering how many I should get.

bout half hour to a hour depending on depths of winter or summer so a average of around 45 mins is bout right used to take em fishing all the time there pretty good but i get the big 500s i tend to find nearly full or full ones on the car booty all the time for bout £1 so keep a eye for em on your locals
    There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar, I love not man the less, but Nature more.

One of those folding windshields can help reduce gas consumption a lot. Cool air on the side of a pot you're trying to heat can take several times longer to get to temp. In the wrong conditions, a litre of water might never boil without some form of shelter too.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    Gas mix, air temperature and altitude make a difference with all gas canisters.

Quote Originally Posted by Law View Post
    Ok thanks all, Im just wondering how many I should get.
    Generally the moore you buy the cheaper they become.But as Ive said I puchased a converter for £4.allowing me to use the cheaper gas cylinders.220g of gas for under a pound.only times I'd use the more expensive one is if I wanted a propane mix for colder weather.A large wind shield 10 plate folding is a must.another £4 (direct from china)
    As a back up why not take a few blocks of Hexi,or a tin of bio ethonal gel,200g.(Makro have a special 3 for price of 2,ie £1.50.!until 15th April.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

I've generally found that the smaller size will easily last me for a 3 day, 2 night backpacking trip, with a bit left that I use up on base camp camping trips when carrying several half empty ones isn't a problem. This is using dehydrated or boil in the bag food that just requires boiling water rather than cooking proper food though.